[comp.lang.postscript] MAC-PC fonts

CCMIGUEL@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz (11/28/89)

I have some Adobe fonts on diskette bought for Macintosh. I would
like to have them available for IBM-PC for downloading to the printer.
Can I get the same files from Adobe for PC at no extra (or not much) charge?
Can I convert the Mac files to PC for use by, say, Ventura? (I'm not
interested in the screen fonts, just the downloadables).

Another little problem. I cannot get single opening and closing quotes from
a NTX or a SilentWriter using MS-DOS MSWord V5.0 although I *can* get them
on the old LaserWriter Plus. Microsoft has given up on offering a solution
(they even sent me a new *flaky* driver that works even worse). Does anybody
know why this may be so. What is different between NTX and Plus that caused the
damnedly useful single quotes to be placed somewhere else (Ventura has no such
problem and neither does MSWord on the Mac.

Thanks very much for any suggestions,

Miguel Peirano

Prentice Computer Centre - University of Queensland
ST LUCIA QLD 4067, AUSTRALIA - Phone +61 (07) 377-4169
			     - FAX   +61 (07) 371-8380

	ccmiguel@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz
UUCP	...!seismo!munnari!uqvax.decnet.uq.oz!ccmiguel

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/29/89)

In article <6987@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz>, CCMIGUEL@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz writes:

> I have some Adobe fonts on diskette bought for Macintosh. I would
> like to have them available for IBM-PC for downloading to the printer.
> Can I get the same files from Adobe for PC at no extra (or not much) charge?
> Can I convert the Mac files to PC for use by, say, Ventura? (I'm not
> interested in the screen fonts, just the downloadables).
>
> Another little problem. I cannot get single opening and closing quotes from
> a NTX or a SilentWriter using MS-DOS MSWord V5.0 although I *can* get them
> on the old LaserWriter Plus. Microsoft has given up on offering a solution
> (they even sent me a new *flaky* driver that works even worse). Does anybody
> know why this may be so. What is different between NTX and Plus that caused the
> damnedly useful single quotes to be placed somewhere else (Ventura has no such
> problem and neither does MSWord on the Mac.
>
> Thanks very much for any suggestions,

> Miguel Peirano
>
> Prentice Computer Centre - University of Queensland
> ST LUCIA QLD 4067, AUSTRALIA - Phone +61 (07) 377-4169
> 			     - FAX   +61 (07) 371-8380
>
> 	ccmiguel@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz
> UUCP	...!seismo!munnari!uqvax.decnet.uq.oz!ccmiguel

O.k.  You can use the adobe mac fonts on the pc.  You will need someway
to transfer them to the pc.  There are 2 parts to a file.  a datafork and
a resource fork.  I think that the mac fonts are resource forks.  what you have
to know, is that the internal format for the mac and the pc fonts are difrent.
It is a real pain in the neck, but Adobe does have a document available that
specifies the format, and in the past I have gotten it, though I don't know
where it is now.  The newer unprotected fonts can be made to work, but not the
older ones that required the initializer, until after you have done an initiailze
and tied the font to a machine.  It really is tricky, but possible.  Adobe might
exchange things with you, but the will almost certainly charge you a fee.  They
are in business to make money and will squeeze the most out of evrything like any other company.
I'd like to know if you can get them to do that.  I am almost certain, that they
won't, unless you have registered the fonts.  As for the single quotes, perhaps
you need to look at the drivers for the re-encode portion.  They ususally
re-encode the charcters in the fonts.  look for something like  .notdef
or singlequote.  See what value they have assigned it.  Then look at one of the
encoding portions of a working driver.  You will problably have to move the
encoding vector.  I think Adobe reassigned some of the default encodings (the
correspondance between the letter name and the binary bit pattern th
at
selects that particular letter.

ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) (12/06/89)

In article <6987@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz> CCMIGUEL@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz writes:

>Another little problem. I cannot get single opening and closing quotes from
>a NTX or a SilentWriter using MS-DOS MSWord V5.0 although I *can* get them
>on the old LaserWriter Plus. Microsoft has given up on offering a solution
>(they even sent me a new *flaky* driver that works even worse). Does anybody
>know why this may be so. What is different between NTX and Plus that caused the
>damnedly useful single quotes to be placed somewhere else (Ventura has no such
>problem and neither does MSWord on the Mac.

You problem is almost certainly due to a change Microsoft introduced at
WORD v5.0. In the POSTSCRP.INI file for v5.0 the characters 39 (single quote)
and 96 (grave) are mapped on to the PostScript characters 'quotesingle'
and 'grave' - this was not true in v4. Proper opening and closing quotes
can be re-instated by editing one line (line 211 in my copy):

change
	0 [ 39/quotesingle 96/grave
	0 [

The ASCII quote and grave characters are still available in the extended
character set. There are many other changes to character mapping between
v4 and v5 so it is worth running 'character_test.mac' to get a definitive
list.

While on the subject of WORD 5 and PostScript, has anyone successfully
built a PS driver at a resolution other than 300 dpi?
We have a Compugraphic 9400PS typesetter (1200 or 2400 dpi) and the standard
driver produces poor grays because of an explicit call to 'setscreen'.
I have removed the call to 'setscreen' on my copy - this seems to make no
difference on files sent to an Apple LaserWriter but gives much improved
results on the typesetter. Does anyone know if the 'setscreen' call
does anything useful?

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec6.110609.11854@gdt.bath.ac.uk>, ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) writes:
> In article <6987@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz> CCMIGUEL@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz writes:
> >
> >Another little problem. I cannot get single opening and closing quotes from
> >a NTX or a SilentWriter using MS-DOS MSWord V5.0 although I *can* get them
> >on the old LaserWriter Plus. Microsoft has given up on offering a solution
> >(they even sent me a new *flaky* driver that works even worse). Does anybody
> >know why this may be so. What is different between NTX and Plus that caused the
> >damnedly useful single quotes to be placed somewhere else (Ventura has no such
> >problem and neither does MSWord on the Mac.
> >

> You problem is almost certainly due to a change Microsoft introduced at
> WORD v5.0. In the POSTSCRP.INI file for v5.0 the characters 39 (single quote)
> and 96 (grave) are mapped on to the PostScript characters 'quotesingle'
> and 'grave' - this was not true in v4. Proper opening and closing quotes
> can be re-instated by editing one line (line 211 in my copy):
>
> change
> 	0 [ 39/quotesingle 96/grave
> 	0 [
>
> The ASCII quote and grave characters are still available in the extended
> character set. There are many other changes to character mapping between
> v4 and v5 so it is worth running 'character_test.mac' to get a definitive
> list.
>
> While on the subject of WORD 5 and PostScript, has anyone successfully
> built a PS driver at a resolution other than 300 dpi?
> We have a Compugraphic 9400PS typesetter (1200 or 2400 dpi) and the standard
> driver produces poor grays because of an explicit call to 'setscreen'.
> I have removed the call to 'setscreen' on my copy - this seems to make no
> difference on files sent to an Apple LaserWriter but gives much improved
> results on the typesetter. Does anyone know if the 'setscreen' call
> does anything useful?

Yes setscreen does lots of usefull things.  There are many elegant gray
scales available on the printer.  One of the most horrid ones has been
chosen as the default.  Don Lancaster has some fine ones that he lays on
people occasionaly.  call him at 602-428-4073 and tell him I (woody baker) sent
you.  I can't put my finger on one at the moment, but there are some beautiful
india-ink quality washes and grayscales that you can get.....

Cheers

Woody.