[comp.lang.postscript] Seeking Laserprep 5.2

ivan@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (ivan.p.polonsky) (12/06/89)

I need a copy of laserprep 5.2 to prepend to Mac-generated
Postscript files that have been uploaded to a UNIX system.
Alternatively, we could use information about getting Mac users
to prepend laserprep before they upload to a UNIX system.

Ivan Polonsky
homxa!ivan

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/07/89)

In article <6365@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, ivan@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (ivan.p.polonsky) writes:
> I need a copy of laserprep 5.2 to prepend to Mac-generated
> Postscript files that have been uploaded to a UNIX system.
> Alternatively, we could use information about getting Mac users
> to prepend laserprep before they upload to a UNIX system.
>
> Ivan Polonsky
> homxa!ivan

I don't mess with the mac world, but it is my understanding that there is
a combination of key strokes something like Apple O or F that will cause the
Postscript printer output to be redirected to a file.  It will include the
preamble.  The file should be just what would be sent to the printer, and
thus if you have laserprep, it should be pre-appended.  Perhaps some one on
the net knows the exact key strokes and methods.  Hope this helps.

Cheers

Woody

bochner@flare.harvard.edu (Harry Bochner) (12/12/89)

In article <17412@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org
(Woodrow Baker) writes:

   I don't mess with the mac world, but it is my understanding that there is
   a combination of key strokes something like Apple O or F that will cause the
   Postscript printer output to be redirected to a file.  It will include the
   preamble.  The file should be just what would be sent to the printer, and
   thus if you have laserprep, it should be pre-appended.  Perhaps some one on
   the net knows the exact key strokes and methods.  Hope this helps.

command-F causes the postscript that would normally be sent to the printer
to be saved in a file, but this is on the assumption that LaserPrep has
already been downloaded. command-K saves everything, including all the
initialization. Unfortunately, this tends to need some doctoring before it's
appropriate for a non-Mac environment, since LaserPrep assumes that it
should retain control for the remaining print jobs, and this mostly likely
isn't what you want for a Unix environment. In the file that we have for
AppleDict version #68 (which I think comes from LaserPrep 5.2), we have
10 lines commented out, starting after %%BeginProcSet, plus one more,
beginning '/ok{statusdict ...'.

Harry Bochner
bochner@endor.harvard.edu