[comp.lang.postscript] fast postscript printers

leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) (07/06/89)

    Does anyone have contact info for companies manufacturing
PostScript printers substantially faster than the LaserWriter NTX (for
example, using the Weitek chipset whose # I forget offhand)?
    Thanks.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@apple.com)
    Apple Integrated Systems

batcheldern@icosa.dec.com (Ned Batchelder) (07/06/89)

In article <32873@apple.Apple.COM>, leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) writes:
>     Does anyone have contact info for companies manufacturing
> PostScript printers substantially faster than the LaserWriter NTX (for
> example, using the Weitek chipset whose # I forget offhand)?
>     Thanks.
> --
>     Jon Leech (leech@apple.com)
>     Apple Integrated Systems
>     __@/

Digital makes the PrintServer 40, which has a 40-page-per-minute engine. To tell you the truth, I don't know who the proper external contact is.

Ned Batchelder, Digital Equipment Corp., BatchelderN@Hannah.DEC.com

fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) (12/14/89)

I am interested in fast postscript printer.  Fast meaning 8 or
better Pages Per Minute as well as a fast processor.  It could
be parallel or serial.  I have a couple Postscript printers already
but they do not seem to be anywhere near there rating og 8 PPM

Thank You,
fritz concannon
Rightime Econometrics, Inc.
uunet!timer1!fritz
Disclaimer:  Nothing I say can be construed as opinions of management

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (12/19/89)

In article <374@timer1.UUCP> fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) writes:
>I am interested in fast postscript printer.  Fast meaning 8 or
>better Pages Per Minute as well as a fast processor. [...]

Our 2-year old Qume ScripTen (TM) has a nominal speed of 10 ppm,
and with relatively simple and straightforward text documents
that can even be the throughput speed. It's got a MC 68010 processor
(I think, but cannot find any mention in the manuals) and 3 MB of
memory. In many cases, it can be essentially faster than printers
with a 68020 processor but only 2 MB or less of memory; but that
depends very much on the documents.

The fonts on the ScripTen are appreciably thicker than on Apple (R)
and QMS (TM) printers. (On the other hand, it has a larger character
set than many newer PostScript printers here at the university.
It may be that Apple and QMS have caught up by now.)
We have also had some trouble with overheating
and toner smudging. But check the current models.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland

fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) (12/20/89)

I was originally interested in faster (than 8 PPM) postscript
printers because I was going to move from a serial connection
to a Parallel connection and I wanted the printer to chew up
the data quickly.  I do not think that I can use parallel now
because my printer must be 60 feet away from the computer.

I am now interested in a network postscript printer.  I am
sure there are many in service so I would like to here from
someone who has set one of these up.

If I get anything useful, I will try to put together a
"setup network printer" manual and repost.

Please email.