[comp.lang.postscript] tiff ---> postscript

mitd_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mitch Diamond) (12/08/89)

HI,

    I am looking for a program which will convert Tif files to postscript.
if anyone knows where I can get one (for unix) can you let me know.

          send info to my adress.

                               THANK YOU

        THE MITCH MAN

--
cat picout

patti@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Patti Richey - CWO (X3939)) (12/09/89)

Inset Systems Inc. makes a software package called HiJaak that you
might find helpful. It's available for a PC (possibly for other systems
too but I'm not aware of others).

It can convert scanner-type tif to encapsulated postscript and sells for
about $100. It can also convert .pcl, .hpg, .mac, .msp, .img, .gif,
and many more file types to vartious other file types. I think it's a
great investment for the price.

After converting the file on the PC we transfer the file to our UNIX
system.

Good luck.

     /_  __   Patti Richey * UNIX: patti@cv.hp.com  * Telnet 750-3939 *
    / / /_/ Corvallis Workstation Operation * Corvallis, Oregon 97330
_______/_________________________________________________________________

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (12/17/89)

[ sorry for the late response, but I just subscribed to this
  newsgroup]

In article <102880002@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> patti@hpcvlx.cv.hp.como
	(Patti Richey - CWO (X3939)) writes:
>Inset Systems Inc. makes a software package called HiJaak ...
>It can convert scanner-type tif to encapsulated postscript and sells for
>about $100.

HiJaak sounds like highway robbery!  A few months ago I posted a
UNIX program to comp.sys.next that converts TIFF (we use an Apple
Scanner to produce grayscale TIFF) to EPS.  You can FTP it from
sutro.sfsu.edu.  It shouldn't be too hard to modify if you have
special needs.  I made some "simplifying assumptions"--i.e. that
we're in 680x0 land, but even that's easy to deal with.

					-=EPS=-

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/20/89)

In article <869@wet.UUCP>, epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> [ sorry for the late response, but I just subscribed to this
>   newsgroup]
>
> In <4417@ur-cc.UUCP> mitd_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
> 	(Mitch Diamond) writes:
> >    I am looking for a program which will convert Tif files to postscript.
> >if anyone knows where I can get one (for unix) can you let me know.
>
> In article <102880002@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> patti@hpcvlx.cv.hp.como
> 	(Patti Richey - CWO (X3939)) writes:
> >Inset Systems Inc. makes a software package called HiJaak ...
> >It can convert scanner-type tif to encapsulated postscript and sells for
> >about $100.
>
> HiJaak sounds like highway robbery!  A few months ago I posted a
> UNIX program to comp.sys.next that converts TIFF (we use an Apple
> Scanner to produce grayscale TIFF) to EPS.  You can FTP it from
> sutro.sfsu.edu.  It shouldn't be too hard to modify if you have
> special needs.  I made some "simplifying assumptions"--i.e. that
> we're in 680x0 land, but even that's easy to deal with.
>
> 					-=EPS=-

I don't have access to FTP.  Is there someother way, say a local BBS
that I could dial into to get this code?.
Cheers, Woody

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (12/20/89)

Some people are looking for something a bit more sophisticated
than a few pages of C code.  I direct you to Sam Leffler's
"libtiff" ucbvax.berkeley.edu:~ftp/pub/libtiff.tar.Z from April,
which includes a "tiff2ps" program along with general-purpose
tiff handling routines and some demonstration images.  Don't
ask for a mailed copy unless you can handle a megabyte or so.

					-=EPS=-