[comp.lang.postscript] Downloadable Fonts???

tim@gvlf9-e.gvl.unisys.com (Timothy Scharping) (12/19/89)

Our site is quite new to postscript so I hope that you will excuse me
if the following question has been covered recently or (even worse) is
stupid :-)

Currently we are using a QMS PSjet postscript compatable printer.
Unfortunately, this printer has only ~13 resident fonts available.  As
a new printer is not an available option I am wondering if it is
possible to use host resident fonts which can be downloaded to the
printer as needed.  If so, can someone provide me with information or
a source of information on font availability and the appropriate tools
required to implement this function.  PD stuff would be best but any
information including possible vendors would be greatly appreciated.

Much Thanks!!

--tim
Timothy Scharping       Internet: tim@GVL.Unisys.COM
Unisys Corporation	UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!gvlv2!tim
Paoli, PA  19301              ...!{gatech,purdue}!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!tim

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/20/89)

In article <465@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>, tim@gvlf9-e.gvl.unisys.com (Timothy Scharping) writes:
> Our site is quite new to postscript so I hope that you will excuse me
> if the following question has been covered recently or (even worse) is
> stupid :-)
>

> Currently we are using a QMS PSjet postscript compatable printer.
> Unfortunately, this printer has only ~13 resident fonts available.  As
> a new printer is not an available option I am wondering if it is
> possible to use host resident fonts which can be downloaded to the
> printer as needed.  If so, can someone provide me with information or
> a source of information on font availability and the appropriate tools
> required to implement this function.  PD stuff would be best but any
> information including possible vendors would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Much Thanks!!
>
> Timothy Scharping       Internet: tim@GVL.Unisys.COM
The Laser Connection, in Mobile Alabama (the sellers of the QMS printers)
sells the entire adobe collection of fonts.  Century Software, and Cassidy
and Green, also have many fonts.  Grab you a MAC magazine, and you will find
tons of fonts.  In general, fonts just get printed to the printer.  Since they
are essentially PS programs, they go down, and invoke the font mechanism, to
get installed as fonts.  From then on, you can select them by name, and you
can use them.  The application has to know the names, and widths however, if
it is to make use of them.  The APPLE format and the MS-DOS format of fonts
from Adobe are diffrent.  They publish the specs for the file formats, so you
can write a conversion filter.  In general, MS-DOS fonts are easier to use
since they tend to be straight files, with very little monkey business.
Most of the other font vendors use straight ascii files, and their fonts
are really easy to use.

Cheers

Woody