[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript => HPGL

dixson@utastro.UUCP (James Dixson) (01/03/90)

    Help!

    We  have just purchased two Hewlett Packard Laserjet II
printers with 2Mb extra RAM for our lab. Our intention is to
use these printers to print publication quality documents
and graphs from our IBM PC's and AT.  We already have a
DVI2JEP coverter our lab for TeX and LaTeX documents.

    Our problem is we are having a hard time finding a
Postscript to HP converter - PS2JEP. We have been using
Postscript as our standard medium for graphics and we want
to continue to do so.

    I would be very grateful to anyone who could point me
to a PS2JEP converter. I would also be grateful for any
information about a Postscript previewer for the IBM PC/AT.
We already have Ghostscript for the Amiga. Is there such a
program for IBM machines. We already have a TeX previewer
for the IBM's.

    Any and all suggestions will be helpful.

    Thanks in advance.

    My E-mail address is:

    dixson@astro.as.utexas.edu

--
James Dixson                          Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin
dixson@astro.as.utexas.edu            Whole Earth Telescope Project

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/03/90)

In article <4708@utastro.UUCP>, dixson@utastro.UUCP (James Dixson) writes:

>     Help!
>
>     We  have just purchased two Hewlett Packard Laserjet II
> printers with 2Mb extra RAM for our lab.
>
>     Our problem is we are having a hard time finding a
> Postscript to HP converter - PS2JEP. We have been using
> Postscript as our standard medium for graphics and we want
> to continue to do so.

Pacific page, is a Postscript Clone that plugs into one of the cartridge
slots of an HP, and converts it to a Postscript printer.  It seems to be
fairly compatable, and lists for $695 or so.  I have seen it in the
computer Shopper for a lot less.

The Laser connection in Mobile Al. sells a nifty utility called Ultrascript
that was developed by Imegen befor QMS bought them.  It is a PC resident
PS emulator that can output to many devices, including the HP, and an EPSON
printer.  It lists for less than $200.  I happen to be a dealer for them, so
might be able to get you some more info.
Emerald City Software has Lasertalk for the PC, which though it was designed
to work with a laser, might be useful.  CSS in Dallas, has a product called
Arts & Letters.  Sells for $695, and after registering, will send you
a utility that is essentially an encapsulated PS displayer.

An outfit called Lincoln& Co. 508-369-1441 has a $119.00 product for the
MAC & PC, called Postscript Tutor, that claims to be an interactive postscript
debugging and display system.

Hope this helps.  Since I am here in Austin, give me a
buzz 512-837-8317.

Cheers
Woody
>     I would be very grateful to anyone who could point me
> to a PS2JEP converter. I would also be grateful for any
> information about a Postscript previewer for the IBM PC/AT.
> We already have Ghostscript for the Amiga. Is there such a
> program for IBM machines. We already have a TeX previewer
> for the IBM's.
>
>     Any and all suggestions will be helpful.
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>

>     My E-mail address is:
>
>     dixson@astro.as.utexas.edu
>
> --
> James Dixson                          Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin
> dixson@astro.as.utexas.edu            Whole Earth Telescope Project
>                                       "All the Photons, All the Time"

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/03/90)

Does anyone have a good routine written in Postscript that given
a set of ordered x and y data pairs, will fit an arbitray spline through
them, and return the control points?  Dons' curevtrace routine lacks
a bit, but sort of does this.  This really should be part of PS, as it
has wide ranging utility

Cheers
Woody

houten@pttdis.UUCP (Karel van Houten) (01/03/90)

In article <4708@utastro.UUCP> dixson@ngp.UUCP (James Dixson) writes:

>    Our problem is we are having a hard time finding a
>Postscript to HP converter - PS2JEP.
>    I would be very grateful to anyone who could point me
>to a PS2JEP converter.

Me too please.

--
Karel van Houten, 		INTERNET-style:	houten@pttdis.UUCP
PTT Telecom b.v.		UUCP:		uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!pttdis!houten