[comp.lang.postscript] Has anyone customized the Bookman "i"?

kibo@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (01/08/90)

[]
	Has anyone written a little program to replace the normal PostScript
Bookman lowercase "i" with one made from the dotless "i" plus a period
to produce an "i" with a higher dot?  (To be more clearly an "i" in small
sizes after being badly Xeroxed, etc.  I like dots with clearance.)

	I don't suppose anybody has, but if you have, I'd appreciate a way
of "tweaking" the "i"  :-)

--
james "kibo" parry, 8 Park Plaza Suite #152, PO Box 722, Boston MA 02117-0722
kibo%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu  _____________________________________________

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/08/90)

In article <M}LT0#@rpi.edu>, kibo@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
> []
> 	Has anyone written a little program to replace the normal PostScript
> Bookman lowercase "i" with one made from the dotless "i" plus a period
> to produce an "i" with a higher dot?  (To be more clearly an "i" in small
> sizes after being badly Xeroxed, etc.  I like dots with clearance.)
>
> 	I don't suppose anybody has, but if you have, I'd appreciate a way
> of "tweaking" the "i"  :-)
Probably not, but perhaps the following suggestion will help.  Try printing
the I at say 500 points, then measure from the base up and from the right
sidebearing (i.e. when you do a flattenpath and a bounding box computation)
llx is the sidebearing),  Determine where you need to draw a white box to
erase the dot.  Then determine where you need a white box to erase the body
of the I.  Scale the numbers back to 1 point, and then you should be able to
either build a font based on Bookman and redifine the I to print, then print
the dot removal box, then print the dot where you want to.  The exact sequence
would be to image the I a bit higher on the page than normal, then white the
body out.  then print the i and white the old dot out.  You could either
build a font based on Bookman, or if you are laying each character down
individually, just check for I and handle it separatly.  I have used this
to modify Avent-Garde, so that it has serifs on it.  There is a commercial
font the name of which escapes me at the moment, that is just Avante-Garde
with serifs.  Hope this helps some.  The "real world postscript" book has
a nice example of accessing a font character from within another user defined
font, so perhaps it won't be to hard if you look there.

Cheers
Woody