[comp.lang.postscript] Re^2: Do I need memory upgrade?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/10/90)

Anyone looking to upgrade their serial comms to >19.2K on a PC
had best recap
the discussions in comp.sys.ibm about what serial chips work reliably at
fast speeds.  Your cheaper clone serial boards don't keep up.

Or, use parallel...  Or, use TOPS, if an option.

This is a good time to mention: the LW and LW+ rotary switch (on the
back of the printer) are really cheap; often, they will fail or slowly
malf over several years.  One of my offices has a LW that's switched
between PC and Mac (read: RS-422 AppleTalk) constantly, and the switch
has become erratic.  Also, the motherboard has developed a fault where
it will accept data but not print it (!!?), which has proven nearly
impossible to isolate.

	Alex

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/10/90)

In article <1990Jan10.043545.19766@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
> Anyone looking to upgrade their serial comms to >19.2K on a PC
> had best recap
> the discussions in comp.sys.ibm about what serial chips work reliably at
> fast speeds.  Your cheaper clone serial boards don't keep up.
>
> Or, use parallel...  Or, use TOPS, if an option.
>
> This is a good time to mention: the LW and LW+ rotary switch (on the
> back of the printer) are really cheap; often, they will fail or slowly
> malf over several years.  One of my offices has a LW that's switched
> between PC and Mac (read: RS-422 AppleTalk) constantly, and the switch
> has become erratic.  Also, the motherboard has developed a fault where
> it will accept data but not print it (!!?), which has proven nearly
> impossible to isolate.
>
> 	Alex

What is the software rev of the board that is failing?  It may be possible
to switch it under software control.

Cheers
Woody