[comp.lang.postscript] Re^4: Do I need memory upgrade?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/11/90)

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

>In article <1990Jan10.043545.19766@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>> between PC and Mac (read: RS-422 AppleTalk) constantly, and the switch
>> has become erratic.  Also, the motherboard has developed a fault where
>> it will accept data but not print it (!!?), which has proven nearly
>> impossible to isolate.
>>
>> 	Alex

>What is the software rev of the board that is failing?  It may be possible
>to switch it under software control.

I'll check.  I think it's "Bronze" or maybe "Stone"--this is a very
early LW.  Perhaps even "Prehistoric".

If it is VERY early, what would I use to change it?

	Alex

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/11/90)

In article <1990Jan11.061628.724@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>
> >In article <1990Jan10.043545.19766@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>

> I'll check.  I think it's "Bronze" or maybe "Stone"--this is a very
> early LW.  Perhaps even "Prehistoric".
>
> If it is VERY early, what would I use to change it?

 it all depends.  Look at the output page (startup page) and tell me what version
it says, or better yet, grab a serial port cable, and a comm program and
hook it up. set the baudrates correctly and then type in

psexecutive

it should come back with the interactive PS prompt and the version.
I know about versions 41 and higher.  If it is 23 or 38, I would have to
look at certain dictionary dumps.  I will be glad to do that.
once in interactive mode, do the following

/serverdict load {== == } forall

and turn on your ascii capture.
then repeat with

/statusdict load {== ==} forall
/$printerdict load {== ==} forall

then either email them to me, or arc them up  on an MS-DOS disk and send them
to me.

The stuff in the dictionary is the switch handling stuff.  There is an
array of procedures that get loaded and executed whenever the switch is
changed.  There is one for a Diablo.  The tops network allows you to select
it over appletalk.  Using a snooper program you could probably watch what
is sent out and determine it that way.

Cheers
Woody