[comp.lang.postscript] Epson emulation in PostScript

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (01/07/90)

I have several graphics dump programs which output only in Epson
graphics language (commands?). is there any code available to send to
ate (PostScript) laser printer which will accept Epson graphics and
print out the dumps?

Bruce Nelson

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/07/90)

In article <2250@kodak.UUCP>, nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) writes:
> I have several graphics dump programs which output only in Epson
> graphics language (commands?). is there any code available to send to
> ate (PostScript) laser printer which will accept Epson graphics and
> print out the dumps?
>
> Bruce Nelson

Yes.  I wrote an emulator  for an EPSON printer.  It runs under PS.  Because
of the 8bit non-transparent I/O I was unable to make it print graphics.'
There used to be a company that made network cards to interface to the MAC.
One of the engineers wrote an FX-80 emulator that does do graphics.  It
runs ONLY on Appletalk, which apparently has a transparent 8 bit channel.
Adobe apparently crippled the serial port deliberatly, for whatever reason
and I am not going to speculate why, though I have a real good Idea as to
why.  I also found a version of a program that runs on a PC and converts
the EPSON graphics to hex stuff, and downloads a handler such that you can
get graphics through. It was not acceptable to either myself or any of my
clients.  The networking company went under, so I'm not sure of teh
status of the FX-80 driver.

Give me a call for more info.
(512) 837-8317 work
(512) 272-4511 home

Cheers
Woody
8

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (01/09/90)

In article <17588@rpp386.cactus.org>,
woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

   Yes.  I wrote an emulator  for an EPSON printer.  It runs under PS.  Because
   of the 8bit non-transparent I/O I was unable to make it print graphics.'
   Adobe apparently crippled the serial port deliberatly, for whatever reason
   and I am not going to speculate why, though I have a real good Idea as to
   why.

Sheesh.  Woody, I hereby nominate you for the First Annual Mark Ethan Smith
One Track Mind Award.

1/2 :-),

Amanda Walker

acs11059@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/12/90)

/* Written 11:13 am  Jan  8, 1990 by amanda@intercon.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.lang.postscript */
In article <17588@rpp386.cactus.org>,
woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

   Yes.  I wrote an emulator  for an EPSON printer.  It runs under PS.  Because
   of the 8bit non-transparent I/O I was unable to make it print graphics.'
   Adobe apparently crippled the serial port deliberatly, for whatever reason
   and I am not going to speculate why, though I have a real good Idea as to
   why.

Sheesh.  Woody, I hereby nominate you for the First Annual Mark Ethan Smith
One Track Mind Award.

1/2 :-),

Amanda Walker
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.lang.postscript */

You don't seem to have anything interesting to say here. Why don't you
just lay off of berating this guy; he is contributing to the group, and
you are contributing to the S/N ratio. If you think he talks too much,
then why don't you mail him and tell him so?

	Knowledge is power -- share it or shut up....

					Aaron
					uxc.cso.uiuc.edu!merlin!aaron