[comp.lang.postscript] using parallel and serial ports

izen@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Steven H. Izen) (01/03/90)

I have a QMS PS-810 that I'd like to use in the following non-standard way:

Currently the printer is connected through its parallel port (switch setting
4 in the back) because that is significantly faster than the serial
communications, especially when downloading images.  However, when connected
by the parallel port, there seems to be no stdout file available.  What I would
like to do is somehow either 1) redirect stdout to the 25 pin serial channel
(9600 baud would be nice) or if that's not possible 2) open the 25 pin
serial channel as a file object, in either case maintaining the parallel line
as the stdin file.

TFM manual doesn't say anything more than "use switch 4 for parallel, and
use switch position 1 for serial on the 25 pin channel."

Thanx in advance for any help.

Please respond by e-mail as I haven't the time to read this group regularly.
(Even though this looks like an interesting one).
--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve  / Quote corner:
or steve%izen386.uucp@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu          /

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/04/90)

In article <4386@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, izen@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Steven H. Izen) writes:
> I have a QMS PS-810 that I'd like to use in the following non-standard way:
>
> Currently the printer is connected through its parallel port (switch setting
> 4 in the back) because that is significantly faster than the serial
> communications, especially when downloading images.  However, when connected
> by the parallel port, there seems to be no stdout file available.  What I would
> like to do is somehow either 1) redirect stdout to the 25 pin serial channel
> (9600 baud would be nice) or if that's not possible 2) open the 25 pin
> serial channel as a file object, in either case maintaining the parallel line
> as the stdin file.
>
> TFM manual doesn't say anything more than "use switch 4 for parallel, and
> use switch position 1 for serial on the 25 pin channel."
>
> Thanx in advance for any help.
>
> Please respond by e-mail as I haven't the time to read this group regularly.
I have never been able to get e-mail to take from readnews, the deamon
always bounces it back.

By examining the contents of userdict, $printerdict, statusdict and serverdict
one discovers the routines to handle the switches.  It turns out, that even
though it is not documented, the action associated with the paralell port
opening on th QMS-ps810 also opens the 9 pin serial channel at 9600 baud
as stdout.  All error messages go out that port.  I don't know why Adobe
didnot or does not document things like that in the suppliment, but the
way I found it was dumping the internal dictionaries under interactive
executive     mode.   /serverdict load {== ==} forall     and
/statusdict load {== ==} forall will dump these dictionaries.  The contents
are most enlightening.  Mucho undocumented operators are used, and are
available for use.  One can completely alter the actions of the switches
(just alter a copy of the switch processing array, and put it into the
current dictionary.  There are many other magical things hidden here, and some
of them are intensly useful.

Cheers
Woody

In article <17544@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>... It turns out, that even
>though it is not documented, the action associated with the paralell port
>opening on th QMS-ps810 also opens the 9 pin serial channel at 9600 baud
>as stdout.  All error messages go out that port...

[Sigh... *some* of us replied, as originally requested, by mail.]

This behavior is documented in the manual we got with our PS810.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (01/10/90)

In article <17544@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>In article <4386@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, izen@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Steven H. Izen) writes:
>> I have a QMS PS-810 that I'd like to use in the following non-standard way:

Me too.

>> TFM manual doesn't say anything more than "use switch 4 for parallel, and
Also, the er ... manual doesn't tell you how to switch between Diablo 630
emulation and Postscript or LJ emulations through software.  The PSEXEC
utilities don't do it either.

Is this also an "undocumented" feature?

>> Thanx in advance for any help.

Yeah, from me too

>> Please respond by e-mail as I haven't the time to read this group regularly.
My mail system doesn't always work.  And I *do* read the news.  Please post
here.

(wasted so the mailer god hears my prayer)

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/10/90)

> >> TFM manual doesn't say anything more than "use switch 4 for parallel, and
> Also, the er ... manual doesn't tell you how to switch between Diablo 630
> emulation and Postscript or LJ emulations through software.  The PSEXEC
> utilities don't do it either.
>
> Is this also an "undocumented" feature?
yes it is.  The Diablo is a pain, but the Lj emulation switch is fairly easy.
the PSEXEC program does the switch beautifully.  I use it all the time.  I wrote
the guts of the emulation switching for it.  There are several files that
are downloaded by the PSEXEC.  if you look at all the text files, you
will find the needed code. Look for the *.prt files. Someone else wrote
the outer skeleton and wrapped some stuff around the core routines,
try this:  It is NOT complete really.  There are several other things that
need to be done for this to really work well

serverdict begin statusdict begin hplj
serverdict begin statusdict begin hpgl  %hp GL emulation

^D drops you back to PS.  in some of the newer versions, there exist
exechplj and exechpgl  commands, as well.

I have *NEVER* gotten the r option in readnews to work without bouncing
me off the mailer daemon, so you are not alone in your troubles with
mail stuff

cheers
Woody

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (01/12/90)

In article <17616@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>> Also, the er ... manual doesn't tell you how to switch between Diablo 630
>> emulation and Postscript or LJ emulations through software.  The PSEXEC
>> utilities don't do it either.
>>
>> Is this also an "undocumented" feature?
>yes it is.  The Diablo is a pain, but the Lj emulation switch is fairly easy.
>the PSEXEC program does the switch beautifully.  I use it all the time.  I wrote
>the guts of the emulation switching for it.  There are several files that
>are downloaded by the PSEXEC.  if you look at all the text files, you
>will find the needed code. Look for the *.prt files. Someone else wrote
>the outer skeleton and wrapped some stuff around the core routines,
>try this:  It is NOT complete really.  There are several other things that
>need to be done for this to really work well

Woody,  My wife uses the D630 mode of the QMS 810 all the time.  But it's a real
pain to switch manually with that user-hostile thumbwheel.  All the time,
I do an MS Word or Excel print, and I get the Postscript output, not the
docuemnt I wanted.  Since I use the 810 as an (expensive compared to a washing
machine or refrig.) appliance, I would like to set up a batch file for her to
use with Wordstar 3.3 (yeah, I know, but .....)

I have already extracted the code from the PSEXEC to use in my own batch
files to switch the printer in/out of LJ modes.  I would like to do the same
with the D630 mode.

So, for 64 thousand dollars, sports fans, can you post code that I will
gratefully type up at home to accomplish this task.

(That will add some perspective to the debate about purity vs. functionality
on a specific printer.)