[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript to Laser

ad@cat.UUCP (Axel Dunkel) (01/22/90)

Hello!

I'm looking for a UNIX Version of the program GoScript (DOS) which converts
Postscript into Graphic Files suitable for HP Laserjet and HP Deskjet.

Does someone know of such a program (and where to get it)?

Thanx in advance...

Axel

                      Axel Dunkel (ad@cat.UUCP)
                C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, West Germany

izen@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Steven H. Izen) (01/24/90)

In article <7202@cat.UUCP> ad@cat.UUCP (Axel Dunkel) writes:
>Hello!
>
>I'm looking for a UNIX Version of the program GoScript (DOS) which converts
>Postscript into Graphic Files suitable for HP Laserjet and HP Deskjet.
>
>Does someone know of such a program (and where to get it)?

I don't know about general UNIX systems, but I'm using Freedom Of Press
from Custom Applications Inc on my Personal Iris.  It seems to do a nice
job, and supports many printers, including the ones you mentioned.  It also
does color on printers that support it as well as dumps CYMK bitmap data
if you want it to.  It fits effortlessly as a filter into the lp spooling
system too.  It also is fast (on my PI, I've heard the DOS version is slow
as molasses.  Just another reason to use UNIX  over DOS...)

The clone of the Zapf dingbat font is noticeably different from the genuine
PS font when the font is blown up, and I'm sure that the other fonts also
exhibit minor differences. It is also very F expensive for the unix version-
list price was $1400 or $1500, I forget. BTW the F is as in rtFm.  :-)

Hope this info helps.  Incidentally, the standard disclaimer applies: I am just
a user who has no stake, financial or otherwise in FOP. In fact, I'm still
in the processing of evaluating the product.

--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve  / Quote corner:
or steve%izen386.uucp@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu          /