[comp.lang.postscript] How do I make it "manual feed"?

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/01/90)

In article <13427@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
<My situation: I have a whole lot of PostScript gobbledygook that, when
<printed out, should become a nice Star Trek episode guide, printed on
<both sides of the paper.  This requires that I print the job in manual
<feed mode, so I can put in a blank piece of paper and see it print,
<then flip it over and print on the back of it.

As the provider of the ST:TNG program guide, here is my original intention:

Print the guide as single sheets and then take those sheets to your favorite
photocopier and make two sided copies.

<My problem: When I send the PostScript file to the printer, it is
<printed with automatic-feed: meaning that two pages that were intended
<to be back-to-back are printed on seperate pieces of paper.

See above.

<I tried mucking around with the PostScript code, but I quickly became
<lost.  I don't know PostScript at all yet.  I did, however, manage to
<get the printer (an Apple LaserWriter II) to request the first page as
<manual feed; then, every page after that came out of the paper tray.

If you have the Apple LaserWriter IINT, like I do, it is simple to do
double sided.  When the first page prints (make sure the rear is opened,
to reduce curly paper), grab it, flip it over and insert it into the manual
feed slot.  Because it takes some time to print each page, you should be
able to get it into the printer before it is needed.  But (I can't remember,
since I print so many sheets), if you can't get it there in time, you will
have to use a photocopier.

The LWIINT will automatically take the paper from the manual feed, if there
is something stuck in the slot.  If it isn't a IINT, sorry.

<There must be some simple tidbit of code I can add into the PostScript
<mush in order to get it to print with manual feed.  Could someone
<please enlighten me as to what I must change/add, and where?

This part I don't know.  But, like I said above, take the single-sided
originals and photocopy them into two-sided copies.  Works for me.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\              cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) (02/02/90)

From article <106@vidiot.UUCP>, by brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot):
> In article <13427@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>
> <There must be some simple tidbit of code I can add into the PostScript
> <mush in order to get it to print with manual feed.  Could someone
> <please enlighten me as to what I must change/add, and where?

Try this... it sets the printer in maual feed mode and gives you 5 mins
to insert the next piece of paper, place it before the first showpage.

	gsave
	statusdict begin
	/manualfeedtimeout 600 def
	/manualfeed true def
	end
	grestore

Hope this helps,

	--Mike

Note: the gsave/grestore are not essential.

--
|Michael A. Green.              |JANET:  mike@uk.ac.keele.cs                |
|Department of Computer Science |BITNET: mike%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl            |