[comp.lang.postscript] Printer identification...

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/01/90)

In article <YZluIfu00Wo_05k1A=@andrew.cmu.edu>, jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) writes:
> First, I'd like to thank those who mentioned that the Apple LaserWriter
> Plus and LaserWriter II can communicate at 19200 baud.  I've seen
> dramatic improvements in printing speed for large bitmap images and no
> problems thus far after speeding up a few of my Apple printers.
>
> The question I have is how can I tell what type of printer is at the
> other end of a serial line?  To save myself  many "house-calls", I'd
> like to find a bit of PostScript code which prints revealing information
> back up the serial line to the spooling workstation.  This will save me
> from applying the speed-up procedure to printers for which it obviously
> won't work.
>
> I understand that I could just send the "setsccbatch" operator and check
> for a "limitcheck" error, but if there's a way to generally ask, "what
> kind of machine are you?" without handling errors, I could use it in
> applications other than just this one.
>
> adTHANKSvance,
>
> Joe Jackson
> Distributed Workstation Support Group
> Carnegie Mellon University
>
> Internet:  jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
> BITnet: jj1h+@ANDREW

This has been covered before.  There is not any easy way, except to
query for the name of the printer.  As long as you don't change the name
you can make some good assumptions about what kind of printer you have.
If it comes back and says QMS-PS810, then you know certain things.  You
can also read the version of postscript in the machine.  That will also
allow you to determine status and info for the printer.  To my knowlege,
versions 38 and later can go all the way up to 57K baud, and some above.
Cheers
Woody

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/02/90)

In article <YZluIfu00Wo_05k1A=@andrew.cmu.edu> jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) writes:
<The question I have is how can I tell what type of printer is at the
<other end of a serial line?  To save myself  many "house-calls", I'd
<like to find a bit of PostScript code which prints revealing information
<back up the serial line to the spooling workstation.  This will save me
<from applying the speed-up procedure to printers for which it obviously
<won't work.

%!
/in {72 mul} def
/Courier findfont 18 scalefont setfont
1 in 8 in moveto
statusdict /product get show
showpage

The above piece of code places the output on the printer itself.  It is
a start, though not exactly what you are looking for.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\              cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/04/90)

In article <109@vidiot.UUCP>, brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
> In article <YZluIfu00Wo_05k1A=@andrew.cmu.edu> jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) writes:
>
> %!
> /in {72 mul} def
> /Courier findfont 18 scalefont setfont
> 1 in 8 in moveto
> statusdict /product get show
> showpage
>
> The above piece of code places the output on the printer itself.  It is
> a start, though not exactly what you are looking for.

statusdict begin /product get print flush

Cheers
Woody