[comp.lang.postscript] warning ... NOVICE on the loose ...

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (02/02/90)

The subject line says it all ... I am new to this group (and Postscript) and
had a couple of questions:

1) Is there some file containing answers for all the typical novice questions
... and could someone possibly email it to me ... thanks (I have no FTP access).

2) This one might be answered by the above ... but I would like to find out
relatively quickly ...

We have just obtained a PS printer ... and hooked it up to unix box (sys V
based) and would like to print a banner page.  Is there something "built in"
for that, or something I could "throw into" the file at the appropriate point
(what would that point be?).  Thanks ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com                  H    H     i                 d   sssss
L        eeeee    oooo                   H    H          nnnn     ddddd   ss
L        eee     o    o                  HHHHHH     i    n   n   d    d     ss
LLLLLL   eeeee    oooo                   H    H     i    n    n   ddddd  sssss

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/05/90)

In article <2817@hcx1.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM>, leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com writes:
> The subject line says it all ... I am new to this group (and Postscript) and
> had a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there some file containing answers for all the typical novice questions
> ... and could someone possibly email it to me ... thanks (I have no FTP access).

There currently is none, but there needs to be.  We get lots of questions
like how do I print a file to the printer so that it gets listed rather
than printed...If you think a question is no mundane, email it, and I'll
try to answer it.  I am in the process of working out a general information
post.  As for the banner, you might try:

/Times-Roman findfont 50 scalefont setfont
50 300 moveto (This is a banner) show
showpage
^D

Cheers