[comp.lang.postscript] Trouble with Dataproducts LZR1260

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (02/08/90)

Please help the PS novice ... thanks :-)

PRINTER:
	DataProducts LZR1260 (Adobe engine ... supposedly), version 47.0

FILE:
	"lasedoctor" ... origin netland, version 1.0.0

SYMTOM:
	send file to printer in batch mode ... error is as follows:
		%%[ Error: rangecheck; OffendingCommand: cvs ]%%
		%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

Change printer to interactive mode ... error is still there, but file prints.
Additionally:
1) the string "cvs" is repeated later on ... but not flagged as an error.
2) Brother HL8-PS & Apple NT do not "barf"

returned data is below :

PostScript(r) Version 47.0
Copyright (c) 1984, '85, '86, '87, '88 Adobe Systems Incorporated
Copyright (c) 1981 Linotype     All Rights Reserved.

PS>%!
PS>%% Laser Doctor, Version 1.0.0
PS>%% Written by Jim Sullivan, January, 1989.
PS>%% This was written out of a need to display as much information
PS>%% about various Postscript Laserprinters onto one page.  More
PS>%% can be added and anyone is free to modify it for their own
PS>%% needs.
PS>
PS>gsave
PS>
PS>%% Beginning of definitions ********************************
PS>
PS>/HB  {/Helvetica-Bold} def
PS>/CBO {/Courier-BoldOblique} def
PS>/C   {/Courier} def
PS>/FF  {findfont} def
PS>/SS  {scalefont setfont} def
PS>/mt  {moveto} def
PS>/s   {show} def
PS>/fontname 30 string def
PS>/getfont {pop fntnm cvs /fontname exch def} def
PS>/fntnm 30 string def
PS>/str 20 string def
PS>/BOLD {CBO FF 10 SS} def
PS>/NORMAL {C FF 10 SS} def
PS>/cnt 0 def
PS>/btime 0 def
PS>/circleofbench
PS>        { 15 15 345
            {gsave
               rotate 0 0 mt
               (Benchmark) oshow
             grestore
            } for
        } def
PS>/oshow {true charpath stroke} def
PS>
PS>%% End of definitions *****************************************
PS>
PS>BOLD
PS>200 756 mt
PS>(Analysis by Doctor Laser, Version 1.0.0) s      %Print title
PS>20 720 mt
PS>NORMAL (This printer is a ) s
PS>BOLD statusdict/product get str cvs s          %Gets the name of the
%%[ Error: rangecheck; OffendingCommand: cvs ]%%
PS>NORMAL ( running version ) s                   %printer from
PS>BOLD version str cvs s                         %statusdict/product
PS>NORMAL ( of Postscript.) s                     %and the version number
PS>20 700 translate                               %of Postscript from the
PS>                                               %'version' command
leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com                  H    H     i                 d   sssss
L        eeeee    oooo                   H    H          nnnn     ddddd   ss
L        eee     o    o                  HHHHHH     i    n   n   d    d     ss
LLLLLL   eeeee    oooo                   H    H     i    n    n   ddddd  sssss

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (02/09/90)

In article <2898@hcx1.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com () writes:
[Problem with Laser Doctor 1.0.0 on DataProducts LZR1260]
>		%%[ Error: rangecheck; OffendingCommand: cvs ]%%
>		%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

Laser Doctor only allows 20 characters for the product name, and
the LZR1260 overflows this.  I changed the line

BOLD statusdict/product get str cvs s          %Gets the name of the

BOLD statusdict/product get 24 string cvs s    %Gets the name of the
--
The powers not  delegated to the United States by the | Mike Van Pelt
Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are | Headland Technology