[comp.lang.postscript] How big is the image area?

msf@rotary.Sun.COM (Michael Fischbein) (02/07/90)

It there a portable (between different vendor's PostScript printers) way
to determine what the printer regards as the top of the image area?

I have a version using pagetype that works on the several printers of
direct concern, but I'd rather try to get something off of initclip.

Is there a way to determine the bounding box of the default clipping
path?  Is there a way (without hard coding page dimensions in the program)
to get the equivalent information?

Thanks much,
		mike

Michael Fischbein,  Technical Consultant, Sun Professional Services
Sun Albany, NY  518-783-9613  sunbow!msf or mfischbein@east.sun.com
These are my opinions and not necessarily those of any other person
or organization.                                    Save the skeet!

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/08/90)

In article <1522@east.East.Sun.COM>, msf@rotary.Sun.COM (Michael Fischbein) writes:
> It there a portable (between different vendor's PostScript printers) way
> to determine what the printer regards as the top of the image area?

Measure it?  There is a possiblity that you can find the info in the statusdict
or serverdict, but may not be portable.  You could perhaps check the frame
parameters, and /or examine the papersize selection code in the built in
dictionaries.

Cheers
woody

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (02/08/90)

In article <1522@east.East.Sun.COM> msf@rotary.east.Sun.COM (Michael Fischbein) writes:
>It there a portable (between different vendor's PostScript printers) way
>to determine what the printer regards as the top of the image area?

gsave initclip clippath pathbbox grestore

- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com

msf@rotary.Sun.COM (Michael Fischbein) (02/08/90)

>In article <1522@east.East.Sun.COM> msf@rotary.east.Sun.COM (Michael Fischbein) writes:
>It there a portable (between different vendor's PostScript printers) way
>to determine what the printer regards as the top of the image area?

Enough, people!  Thanks to everyone who replied; for some reason I
hadn't been able to find the pathbbox command.  Given it, everything
was easy.  Thanks again,
		mike

Michael Fischbein,  Technical Consultant, Sun Professional Services
Sun Albany, NY  518-783-9613  sunbow!msf or mfischbein@east.sun.com
These are my opinions and not necessarily those of any other person
or organization.                                    Save the skeet!

batcheldern@hannah.enet.dec.com (Ned Batchelder) (02/10/90)

I don't know why you are looking for the information, but be careful
with it. Scaling or positioning based on the default clipping region
will screw up stuff like EPSF inclusion, because you can't pick four
numbers that represent the bounding box of the marks. If your output
might in any way become something that will get included into another
document, think about another way to do what you want.

Ned Batchelder, Digital Equipment Corp., BatchelderN@Hannah.enet.DEC.com