[comp.lang.postscript] Distribution of UltraScript PC

ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) (02/16/90)

Rich Willis, Product Manager for UltraScript PC, has asked me to post the
following response to the articles about the distribution of UltraScript PC which
have recently been posted to this newsgroup, although they have very little to
do with the PostScript language.
                              -----------
I would like to clear up the confusion about the distribution of UltraScript PC
and the roles played by IMAGEN, Laser Connection, QMS and Softsel.

First, a primer on how products get distributed in the PC marketplace:
Manufacturers sell products (typically in large quantities) to distributors.
Distributors sell the product to dealers.  Dealers sell to end users.

IMAGEN Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of QMS, is the developer and manufacturer
of UltraScript PC.  Laser Connection (also a wholly owned subsidiary of QMS)
and Sofsel are distributors.  IMAGEN sells UltraScript PC to Softsel and Laser
Connection.  Softsel and Laser Connection then sell the product to dealers.
Dealers sell the product to end users.

End users, who cannot find a dealer who carries the product, can buy it directly
from IMAGEN at list price.

Therefore, you can buy the product from the Laser Connection or Softsel if you
are a dealer.  If you are an end user, you can buy the product from a dealer or
directly from IMAGEN.  This is the way that most software products are sold in
this marketplace.

I hope that this clears the confusion.

Rich Willis, UltraScript PC Product Manager, IMAGEN Corp.

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/16/90)

In article <9401@imagen.UUCP>, ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
> Rich Willis, Product Manager for UltraScript PC, has asked me to post the
>
> IMAGEN Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of QMS, is the developer and manufacturer
> of UltraScript PC.  Laser Connection (also a wholly owned subsidiary of QMS)
> and Sofsel are distributors.  IMAGEN sells UltraScript PC to Softsel and Laser
> Connection.  Softsel and Laser Connection then sell the product to dealers.
> Dealers sell the product to end users.
>
> End users, who cannot find a dealer who carries the product, can buy it directly
> from IMAGEN at list price.

Thanks
Cheers
Woody