[net.micro] IBM BASIC COMPILER V2.01 and other BASIC goodies

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/18/86)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***  (My message can't fit here)

If you have been following this group, there have been discussions about
the sad shape of the IBM BASIC Compiler, ver 2.0.  Well, the letter that
I had sent to IBM (a copy was posted here) got some response.  But, before
the response came from the IBM Consumer Relation Department I received a
copy of the latest compiler from another source.  BTW, all of the questions
that I had asked IBM have not been answered yet.  The main one being why
didn't IBM say anything publically about the compiler problem.  You know,
they still haven't made any public type of announcement about the compiler.

Anyway, the earlier versions of the patches (which were actually whole
new compiler programs) were supposidly not officially released.  One
version was supposidly refused, as delivered from MicroSoft.  But it
hit the streets anyway.  She said that it caused more problems than it fixed.
I find it hard to believe that IBM did that.  As you know, IBM won't even
tell someone something is coming, let alone let it sneak out to people.
My source, who has a direct link with the compiler group, even knew about
the bad version.  So, I don't know the real story there.

What you need to get from you IBM dealer is the latest patch diskette that
is dated 04/04/86.  When it compiles, it even gives a version number of 2.01
in the listing file.

I haven't been able to test it on some of the code that has given me trouble,
but it now works with the RBBS-PC code, which it NEVER worked with before.

A couple of other things while I am talking about the compiler.

A few of you have been having problems with getting sub-routines to work
with error trapping.  Well, RBBS-PC uses error trapping in the SUB calls
and it works just fine.  The secret is that the SB errors that you get
are ignored.  The current version has 20 such errors.  If you would like
a copy of the source code, send me some e-mail and I will send a copy
back for you to look at and compile, to get the idea how it is done.

The last thing is to do with the BASCOM20.LIB dropping DTR when a com
line is opened or closed.  There is a patch for that and it goes as follows:

 1. Make a backup of BASCOM20.LIB
 2. DEBUG BASCOM20.LIB
 3. -S 100 FFF0 83 C2 04 32 C0
    This should give you two locations.  If not give up.  But it should
    as it has worked on all of them so far.
 4. Unassemble the two address given.  You should see:
         ADD DX,+04
	 XOR AL,AL
    and within a couple of instructions:
	 OUT DX,AL
 5. -A xxxx:nnnn
    Replace nnnn with one of the addresses given.  The xxxx can be ignored.
 6. Assemble the following at the address:
	 MOV AL,01
 7. After entering the instruction, be sure to enter RETURN again to get
    out of the assembly mode.
 8. Repeat 5 through 7 for the other address.
 9. Write the file out.
10. Quit as you are done.

The above patch was initially reported on PC bulletin boards by Jeff Porter.

BTW, if you are using the Microsoft QuickBASIC compiler, the patch works
just as well with the BCOM10.LIB file.  Actually Jeff did his research on
the Microsoft version.

Oh, before I forget.  There is a file called SMALLERR.OBJ that comes with
the latest version of the IBM Basic Compiler.  I have no idea what it is
for and I am waiting for a call from IBM to tell me what it is for.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (06/20/86)

In <733@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
>The main one being why
>didn't IBM say anything publically about the compiler problem.  You know,
>they still haven't made any public type of announcement about the compiler.

I went to my local IBM dealer (MicroCenter, the largest dealer on the planet --
they have their own mall), and asked for the latest updates to the BASIC
Compiler 2.0.  All they had was the 1/86 'patch' diskette.  I watched as their
tech. support rep. used their on-line dealer information system to dial Boca
and do a database search (BASIC and Compiler and (patch or update or bug))
which turned up NOTHING.  Not even the previous 3 sets of updates!  They
officially do not exist, or so it seems.  Picking up a voice telephone, he
called IBM and they mailed him a disk.  You are correct Mike, there is
absolutely no documentation concerning the fixes.

>What you need to get from you IBM dealer is the latest patch diskette that
>is dated 04/04/86.  When it compiles, it even gives a version number of 2.01
>in the listing file.

But it still says 2.00 on the screen, and IBM says that there is no 2.01!

>A few of you have been having problems with getting sub-routines to work
>with error trapping.  Well, RBBS-PC uses error trapping in the SUB calls
>and it works just fine.  The secret is that the SB errors that you get
>are ignored.  The current version has 20 such errors.  If you would like
>a copy of the source code, send me some e-mail and I will send a copy
>back for you to look at and compile, to get the idea how it is done.

Please send me the code.  This has been making me crazy for months.

>Oh, before I forget.  There is a file called SMALLERR.OBJ that comes with
>the latest version of the IBM Basic Compiler.  I have no idea what it is
>for and I am waiting for a call from IBM to tell me what it is for.

According to the IBM BASIC Compiler 2.0 Fundamentals manual, page 2-3:

SMALLERR.OBJ - short error-message module.  Linking this module causes error
messages to be displayed in an abbreviated form.

This file should have come with your original disks.  It came with mine.

Thank you for all your efforts on behalf of BASIC Compiler users everywhere!
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (06/22/86)

I need to recompile RBBS-PC but all I have are the IBM BASIC Compiler version
1.00 and the Microsoft QuickBASIC version 1.00.

Which is the best to use, and what are my chances?

--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/23/86)

In article <1965@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>>Oh, before I forget.  There is a file called SMALLERR.OBJ that comes with
>>the latest version of the IBM Basic Compiler.  I have no idea what it is
>>for and I am waiting for a call from IBM to tell me what it is for.
>
>According to the IBM BASIC Compiler 2.0 Fundamentals manual, page 2-3:
>
>SMALLERR.OBJ - short error-message module.  Linking this module causes error
>messages to be displayed in an abbreviated form.
>
>This file should have come with your original disks.  It came with mine.

I guess I should have looked more closely.  After seeing a few versions of
this stuff, I must have gotten a little gun shy.  After all, when all else
fails: RTFM!!!!

The RRBS sub-routine source code will be on its way shortly.  You may even get
it before this gets to your system.
--

In article <1633@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rde@ukc.ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) writes:

>I need to recompile RBBS-PC but all I have are the IBM BASIC Compiler version
>1.00 and the Microsoft QuickBASIC version 1.00.
>
>Which is the best to use, and what are my chances?

RBBS-PC version CPC13.1A and forward require the IBM Basic Compiler version
2.01 (4/4/86 patch diskette) or QuickBASIC 1.0.  That patch diskette should
be obtained from Microsoft for 1.0, but at least it works with RBBS-PC
while IBM's 2.00 did not.

All RBBS-PC code before CPC13.1A can be used with any of the compilers.

I have successfully compiled, and run, RBBS-PC with the Microsoft 1.0 and
IBM 2.01 Basic Compilers.

All the latest code for RBBS-PC can be obtained from NICBUL at:
	(608) 273-5037 6pm to 8am M-F CT or all day on weekends.

Good luck, as your odds are better now.
--

brown%nicmad.UUCP@seismo.css.GOV (06/29/86)