[comp.lang.postscript] LaserWrite 6.0 and PostScript Images

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (02/22/90)

	I have many 8-bit images in the format of postscript.  I print
them with  SendPS 2.0 on a Mac IIcx to an Apple LaserWriter II NT.
	Now I got Apple's 32-bit Color QD disk,  I installed all the
files to the system folder.  The Mac IIcx rus System 6.0.3.
	From what I have learned so far from the net,  the LaserWrite 6.0
improves the grayscale printing compared to the old 5.2.  However, I can't
tell any difference between two prints, one with 6.0 and the other with 5.2.
	Can the experts on the net tell me why?  Is there something I
forgot to do?  Or SendPS 2.0 bypasses the LaserWrite 6.0?  Or the postscript
command "image" already does halftone to the best,  LaserWrite 6.0 can't
exceed that?
	Thanks in advance.

--
	Fang Zhong				1-919-684-8247
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	fang@phy.duke.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (02/23/90)

Where did you get v6.0?  I have system 6.0.4 on my MacIIcx at work, but
the laser driver is v5.2.  I'd appreciate any help on the matter.  Would
such updates be located on GEnie or some other pay service?

(or even on the net?  <--obviously the preferable choice)

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

talent@spanky.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb23.124642.25148@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Where did you get v6.0?  I have system 6.0.4 on my MacIIcx at work, but
>the laser driver is v5.2.  I'd appreciate any help on the matter.  Would

You should be able to get 6.0 from any authorized Apple dealer.  You need to
ask for "Apple's ColorDisk 1.0".  I got a copy when it first came out so that
we could print color PostScript to our QMS ColorScript.

I don't understand why Apple didn't supply version 6.0 LaserWriter, LaserPrep,
and PrintMonitor with System Release 6.0.4 - but they didn't.

Also you may want to look at Apple tn192(?) of Feb. 90.

Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent