[comp.lang.postscript] Looking for sources of global/country maps

sheppamj@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) (02/14/90)

I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me where (or possibly mail
me) the sources (postscript or dmp or even GIF!) of the outlines for
country or global maps.

-chew

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb13.222750.1982@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, sheppamj@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) writes:
> I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me where (or possibly mail
> me) the sources (postscript or dmp or even GIF!) of the outlines for
> country or global maps.

I believe that Scott Guthrie, of the Austin Codeworks has the world, and
us, and maybe others.  He advertises in Dr.Dobbs journal a lot.  I
have his BBS number handy...1-512-258-8831

Good BBS, and has a list of his stuff that is for sale.  He sells 'C'
stuff almost exclusively, but he also has data files like you are looking
for.

Cheers
Woody

kent@wsl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (02/15/90)

If you look in the newsgroup where Brian Reid posts his usenet traffic
maps (they fought about the name long enough that I ignored the
outcome), you should be able to extract lots of outlines from there.

Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639

arie@extro (Markus Arie) (03/01/90)

From article <17929@rpp386.cactus.org>, by woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker):
> In article <1990Feb13.222750.1982@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, sheppamj@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) writes:
>> I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me where (or possibly mail
>> me) the sources (postscript or dmp or even GIF!) of the outlines for
>> country or global maps.
>>
> I believe that Scott Guthrie, of the Austin Codeworks has the world, and
> us, and maybe others.  He advertises in Dr.Dobbs journal a lot.  I
> have his BBS number handy...1-512-258-8831
>
> Good BBS, and has a list of his stuff that is for sale.  He sells 'C'
> stuff almost exclusively, but he also has data files like you are looking
> for.
>
> Cheers
> Woody

Well the best source of maps is the CIA world map data base, they give you
the points of the whole world in latitude and longitude, and you can blow
up any portion (They have some neat sewers in vietnam). I have a tape, but
I won't have access to it for a while (5 meg of data) I heard that there
is a file in simtel20.arpa of 1 meg that is a lower resolution version.

You can contact kpeterson@simtel20.arpa, or use a listserv to find out what
the name of the file is.

If you get it to work in postscript I'd be interested.

Arie   VE3JLM / 4X6JO    Computer Engineer, University of Sydney

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Mar1.003306.23101@metro.ucc.su.oz.au>, arie@extro (Markus Arie) writes:
> From article <17929@rpp386.cactus.org>, by woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker):
> > In article <1990Feb13.222750.1982@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, sheppamj@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) writes:
>
> Well the best source of maps is the CIA world map data base, they give you
> the points of the whole world in latitude and longitude, and you can blow
> up any portion (They have some neat sewers in vietnam). I have a tape, but
> I won't have access to it for a while (5 meg of data) I heard that there
> is a file in simtel20.arpa of 1 meg that is a lower resolution version.

Arts and Letters has several nice maps.  they can be exported into EPS
format, tho I don't know about the legal ramifications of doing that
and using them on another system...
Cheers
Woody
p.s.  These are in the supplemental clip art library which I just
recieved.