[comp.lang.postscript] Macintosh Postscript Printing Question

nardi@usna.MIL (LT Peter A. Nardi) (02/28/90)

     I know that converting MS-Word files to postscript can be
accomplished using the k or cmd-k technique from the laser writer
print dialog box.  Once this is done, what type of postscript file
is created?  Is it apple printer specific?  The "!%Adobe 2.0" first
line looks the same as on the files my office-mate creates on his
IBM-PC.  But my postscript files will not print on our QMS-PS810.
     Is there a list of printers which support this method of postscript
file generation on the Mac?  Is there a public domain program that
will fix k/cmd-k postscript files to work on a variety of printers?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....

-=<Pete>=-
pete nardi
nardi@cad.usna.mil

v141gxzn@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (03/03/90)

In article <380@usna.MIL>, nardi@usna.MIL (LT Peter A. Nardi) writes:

>      I know that converting MS-Word files to postscript can be
> accomplished using the k or cmd-k technique from the laser writer
> print dialog box.  Once this is done, what type of postscript file
> is created?  Is it apple printer specific?  The "!%Adobe 2.0" first
> line looks the same as on the files my office-mate creates on his
> IBM-PC.  But my postscript files will not print on our QMS-PS810.
(Stuff Deleted)

> -=<Pete>=-
> pete nardi
> nardi@cad.usna.mil

The output using the command-k includes the entire laserprep file in your output
Laserprep is a proprietary apple postscript interpeerter for the laserwriter
series of printers.  The usual way to output postscript on a mac is to use
command-f which will only output the postscript from the file your working on.
This can then be run through an interpreted (such as masps for unix machines).
There are other chooser files that will configure your output for other
postscript printers.  I belive that some of these are available by anonymous FTP
from Info-mac at stanford ro the simtel20 server at the white sands
missle range.

		I hope this helps.

	Alex W. Lynn - State University of New York at Buffalo