[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript Language

ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) (02/24/90)

jeynes@adobe.COM writes:

>UltraScript is not an Adobe product; it is a clone PostScript interpreter
>made by Imagen/QMS.

I am getting tired of reading about PostScript "clones."  The word "clone"
had never been used to describe the implementation of a procedural language
until Adobe started using it to refer to the implementations of the PostScript
language by other companies.  Have you ever heard of a COBOL or FORTRAN clone?

Have you ever heard of a proposal for a new world standard for the storing
and transmitting of image data that wastes up to 90% of the communication
channel's capacity?  Have you ever heard of a modern procedural language
whose deficiencies are covered up by extending it with specific versions
of comment statements?  Have you ever heard of a procedural language in
public domain whose most important component has been encrypted?  Have
you ever heard of a procedural language in public domain whose name you
are not allowed to use when you implement that language?

Intel says that by year 2000 microprocessor chips will contain 100 million
transistors and operate at 250MHz.  If we leave it to Adobe to design our
page and document description languages, by year 2000 we will still have to
waste our time preprocessing arithmetic expressions from the usual format
supported by the first high-level procedural language into the Reverse
Polish notation in order to make it easier to interpret such expressions.
The general-purpose programming part of our page description languages
will be at the level of a programmable calculator, and we will still have
to worry about doing our own gargabe collection, so that we do not run out
of virtual memory.  We will still have printer drivers that convert compact
image descriptions in binary format into very readable long words that are
never seen by a human being.  We will keep waiting for that readable data
to be sent over a 9600-baud communications link to a printer controller
that will take so long to process even these preprocessed statements that
mechanical parts of a modern printer will wait on the electronic parts, so
that we will still not be able to drive our printers at full speed.

Ivan N. Bach                      Tel (408) 986-9400, x508
QMS, Inc.                         Fax (408) 727-3725
2650 San Tomas Expressway         arpa: ib@imagen.com
Santa Clara, CA 95051             uucp: decwrl!imagen!ib

kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) (02/24/90)

ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:

>jeynes@adobe.COM writes:
>>
>>UltraScript is not an Adobe product; it is a clone PostScript interpreter
>>made by Imagen/QMS.
>
>I am getting tired of reading about PostScript "clones."  The word "clone"
>had never been used to describe the implementation of a procedural language
>until Adobe started using it to refer to the implementations of the PostScript
>language by other companies.  Have you ever heard of a COBOL or FORTRAN clone?

You are right, "clone" is too good a word, since it used to mean organisms
that have the same *genetic* origins, which, obviously, PostScript(R) and
UltraScript(TM) don't share :-).

More recently, "clone" has been used to imply a copy of a product that
was reversed engineered without benefit of the original design documents.
Perhaps this is what Mr. Jeynes meant.

>Have you ever heard of a proposal for a new world standard for the storing
>and transmitting of image data that wastes up to 90% of the communication
>channel's capacity?

YES! ==> NTSC !!!!    :-):-):-):-)

>  [Then the anti-PostScript flames started to get really hot...]
>
>Ivan N. Bach                      Tel (408) 986-9400, x508
>QMS, Inc.                         Fax (408) 727-3725

PostScript(R) became successful because it satisfied the needs of a lot
of folks with sufficiently deep pockets.  Instead of griping about what
a sicko procedural language it is, perhaps Ivan would care to propose one
of his favourites, and let the free market decide?

Cheers,

Kok Chen			kchen@apple.com, AA6TY(ex-KK6DP)
Apple Computer, Inc.
---
Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and I do own a small chunk of
AQM due to some affiliations in a past life.  Furthermore, I may not
even like PostScript. :-)

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (02/24/90)

In article <9447@imagen.UUCP> ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
>					If we leave it to Adobe to design our
>page and document description languages, by year 2000 we will still have to
>waste our time preprocessing arithmetic expressions from the usual format
>supported by the first high-level procedural language into the Reverse
>Polish notation in order to make it easier to interpret such expressions.

Gee, I generally use programs to write most of the PostScript that I print.  I
don't see that this is a terrible problem. I don't usually write in
assembly code, except when I need to program to the metal; much the same as
my PostScript code.

>We will keep waiting for that readable data
>to be sent over a 9600-baud communications link to a printer controller
>that will take so long to process even these preprocessed statements that
>mechanical parts of a modern printer will wait on the electronic parts, so
>that we will still not be able to drive our printers at full speed.

My DEC LPS-40 running real Adobe PostScript is ethernet attached.  I
don't know why people harp on the 9.6 kbs speed limit; if this is a
problem for you, it is easily solved by spending money for a high
performence printer.  Performance costs money.  And I like speaking TCP/IP
to my PostScript printers so that its easily shared by multiple printing
platforms.  No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to serially
attach your printers.

While PostScript is indeed a programming language, it intended purpose is
a <<Page Description Language>>, which it seems to do quite nicely.

Louis A. Mamakos

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/24/90)

In article <9447@imagen.UUCP> ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes a
heated flame about how "if we leave it to Adobe to design our page and
document description languages," all sorts of evil nasty things will
happen.

Maybe.  PostScript may well become the COBOL of page-oriented graphics
formats.  That's not such a bad thing, as much as I hate to defend
COBOL :-).  For those applications where it is more effective to still
be using PostScript instead of cutting over to some newer "standard"--
and there will always be newer "standards," have no fear--we may well
be still translating into postfix notation and spitting ASCII files at
our printers.  So?

Adobe cannot control technology.  They leapfrogged the rest of the
industry with PostScript, but nothing says someone else won't do the
same thing with something better than PostScript, perhaps addressing
some of the very issues we argue about here.  However, I don't think
we're all in as much danger as all that.

PostScript was designed with some very specific goals and design
constraints.  Many of us here on this newsgroup have found ways to
"push the envelope" of that design, but the farther you get away from
the laser printer/laser recorder design center, the less appropriate
PostScript is right now.  If you have an ion-deposition printer that
prints at 50 pages a second, or a full-motion video display, or
whatever people come up with in the next ten years, PostScript, at
least as it currently exists, may not be able to make effective use of
your hardware.  Then again, maybe it will be.  If you can drop a
150-200 MIPS processor with graphics hardware into your printer
controller, you may be able to interpret PostScript at 50 pps for most
jobs, just as you can now interpret PostScript at 5-8 ppm for most
jobs with a 1 MIPS processor.

One of the characteristics of PostScript's design center is that the
speed of the marking engine is the major bottleneck.  For some
combinations, that isn't true.  I would argue that given the speed
over time curves of the controller circuitry are much steeper than
that of the mechanical portions of any printer.

PostScript is like Lisp in that it's a "ball of mud" in some ways.
Lisp was invented over 30 years ago, and it's still going strong.
PostScript isn't doing too bad of a job of following in its footsteps,
although it's still pretty early to second-guess future history.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/24/90)

In article <38910@apple.Apple.COM> kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) writes:
>ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
>>Have you ever heard of a proposal for a new world standard for the storing
>>and transmitting of image data that wastes up to 90% of the communication
>>channel's capacity?
>>Ivan N. Bach                      Tel (408) 986-9400, x508
>>QMS, Inc.                         Fax (408) 727-3725
>
>PostScript(R) became successful because it satisfied the needs of a lot
>of folks with sufficiently deep pockets.  Instead of griping about what
>a sicko procedural language it is, perhaps Ivan would care to propose one
>of his favourites, and let the free market decide?
>Kok Chen			kchen@apple.com, AA6TY(ex-KK6DP)
>Apple Computer, Inc.

I think it's a lot simpler and a lot less pure than the free market
system or communications bandwidth.  I do think PostScript is successful
because it is an elegant design and it's wonderful and all that, but
that is neither necessary (unfortunately) nor sufficient for anything
to be successful, as we are all painfully aware.

No, I think PostScript succeeded mainly because it is ASCII.  People
can understand something that they can see.  People like that.  A lot
of the software in the world is screwed up in one way or another, and
people love to be able to fix things that are broken.  And they can
fix them if they are expressed in ASCII.  Or at least they can see
them and know that there is something broken in there that they can't
quite understand, so they want to know more about it.  So they learn
it, and have fun with it, and tell somebody else about it.

A hell of a lot more people know how to work text editors than
know how to read octal dumps.  You can drag graphic designers
and sales people (not to slight them, of course, but to pick some folks
who probably have never written any programs) into a classroom and
get them to print their names on a sheet of paper in 100 point Times
Roman in about 15 minutes.  Try to do that with a binary-encoded
token stream with packed arrays, 0-padded bytes, run-length
encoded bits, checksums, and end-of-file indicators.

Throughout the history of the computer industry, the computer people
start out designing something that is very clean, simple, elegant,
and efficient on the bottom, and by the time it gets to the user, it
is inconsistent, quirky, slow, incomprehensible, and ugly.  But
people buy it because there's nothing better, learn to live with
it because people are good at adjusting to things, and the
computer people think they've done something wonderful, so they turn
around and do it again, from scratch, and make it totally different
than the last one.  That's because computer people love the work they
are doing, and they would never want to do the same thing over and
over again, and besides, it can be made more wonderful!  I know that,
because I am a computer person.  But I've also watched people try to
use computers for years, and there's not a computer system on earth
that's as useful to a human being as a Makita cordless drill is to the
average carpenter.  Or if it is, somebody will suddenly change the
software on her to make it more wonderful, but it may not be able to
read all of her data files; sorry.

Anyway, PostScript is great because you can see it, edit it, write
more of it, and even complain about it.  Most of us couldn't do any of
these things if it weren't ASCII.  So what if it takes a little longer
to get where it's going?  Besides, there are more MIPS and megabytes
every time you wake up.

There are people who care about whether a 100-page-per-minute printer
keeps up to its rated speed, and there are specialized solutions for
those people.  I value reliability and consistent output about 100
to 1 over speed.  That is, I'd rather have a 1 ppm printer that always
got the right answer, because I could go to sleep and have it print
the draft of my book, than have a 100 ppm printer that couldn't print
page 3 and wanted me to click "OK" when I woke up in the morning.

Glenn Reid
 (My own late-night thoughts, of course)

jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jingbai Wang) (02/25/90)

In article <147@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:

|>No, I think PostScript succeeded mainly because it is ASCII.  People
|>can understand something that they can see.  People like that.  A lot
|>of the software in the world is screwed up in one way or another, and
|>people love to be able to fix things that are broken.  And they can
|>fix them if they are expressed in ASCII.  Or at least they can see
|>them and know that there is something broken in there that they can't
|>quite understand, so they want to know more about it.  So they learn
|>it, and have fun with it, and tell somebody else about it.
|>There are people who care about whether a 100-page-per-minute printer
|>keeps up to its rated speed, and there are specialized solutions for
|>those people.  I value reliability and consistent output about 100
|>to 1 over speed.  That is, I'd rather have a 1 ppm printer that always
|>got the right answer, because I could go to sleep and have it print
|>the draft of my book, than have a 100 ppm printer that couldn't print
|>page 3 and wanted me to click "OK" when I woke up in the morning.
|>
|>Glenn Reid
|> (My own late-night thoughts, of course)

I tend to agree with Glenn (at least on ASCII part). Adobe is one of the
few successful computer companies founded by advanced degree holders. It
could affort to use ASCII output format of commands, strings and integer
as well as floating point numbers, instead of the traditional <ESC>+[+???
+integer + strings, because the designers knew disk space, ROM and RAM
would not be a restriction in a long run, and CPU would catch up soon.
With that, device independency could be conceived, because the PostScript
output file describes the image analytically instead of hard-coded the
output in bitmap and strings. The final bitmap image relies on the
interpretor and the available font libraries.

ASCII format is good in the sense you can edit, transmit and store in very
convenient and standard ways. But they are also bad in that there are no
flags, escapes and others that can allow a programmer to interprete the
results into other output formats. A full feature parser is nothing but
a PostScript interpreter which can't be built trivially. On the other hand,
any other printing languages in other types of printers can be interpreted
and/or translated to another at very low cost. This made cloning difficult
and enabled Adobe stokes to mushroom.

Among other things, most of graphics description algorithms in PostScript
are also standard and visible in competitors, except, maybe, closepath,
fill, setgray, scale, clippath and the such. But they were not so difficult
to design. Vector fonts had been available ever since plotters were born.
B-spline is really nothing but a standard scheme, kerning and font metrics
were known to all, but without closepth, setgray, setlinewidth, and fill
an outline font would never be as presentable, as scaleable and as flexible
as Adobe type 1 fonts.

In a word, Adobe is successful because the founder could see farther
than others in the computer industry. ASCII is only a minor point. Actually,
besides <ESC> DEC LN03 plus also uses ASCII format. Stack is also a feature
in PostScript programming language, but it is not unique to it. Forth
language also uses stacks.

JB Wang
Research Associate, Ph.D.
Stevens Institute of Technology

p.s.: I am normally active in comp.lang.postscript, comp.text, comp.text.tex
	Chinese computing network -- ccnet-l@uga.bitnet, and I have products
	in all of these fields.

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/25/90)

In article <147@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> In article <38910@apple.Apple.COM> kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) writes:
> >ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
> >>Ivan N. Bach                      Tel (408) 986-9400, x508
> >>QMS, Inc.                         Fax (408) 727-3725
> >

> I think it's a lot simpler and a lot less pure than the free market
> system or communications bandwidth.  I do think PostScript is successful
> because it is an elegant design and it's wonderful and all that, but

I'm not so sure about elegant design.  I don't like thinking backwards.
I'm getting used to it sort of, but have seriously considered writing a
front end that takes normal syntax, and mungs it around for postscript.
I think that   moveto 100,100
is somewhat more intuitive than
	100 100 moveto..

> No, I think PostScript succeeded mainly because it is ASCII.  People
> can understand something that they can see.  People like that.  A lot

Absolutely, but I think it should be full 8 bits....

> A hell of a lot more people know how to work text editors than
> know how to read octal dumps.  You can drag graphic designers

I get more and more amazed as the world goes 'round. OCTAL DUMPS?
I thought we buried octal decades ago.

> and sales people (not to slight them, of course, but to pick some folks
> who probably have never written any programs) into a classroom and
> get them to print their names on a sheet of paper in 100 point Times
> Roman in about 15 minutes.  Try to do that with a binary-encoded
> token stream with packed arrays, 0-padded bytes, run-length
> encoded bits, checksums, and end-of-file indicators.

Yep. This is a well taken point.  I have sold many POSTSCRIPT printers,
and with the exeption of 3 or 4, have taught the purchasers of them to
program in Postscript.  In the IBM world, at the time, MS Word was the
only way to use Postscript, and if you wanted to do graphics, it was
grab your text editor and learn postscript.  Actually, you probably
could do it in less than 15 min. (get them printing thier name).
Yes, postscript is wordy.  The stream is large.  The bandwidth gets
wasted.  BUT, If it is written CORRECTLY, it is easy to fix and easy to
maintain.  Postscript is slow. very slow....In comparison to what?....
Part of that is due to it's wordyness, part is due to it's interpreted
nature, and part of it is due to the fact that it uses software floating
point in most implementations...

> Throughout the history of the computer industry, the computer people
> start out designing something that is very clean, simple, elegant,
> and efficient on the bottom, and by the time it gets to the user, it
> is inconsistent, quirky, slow, incomprehensible, and ugly.  But
> people buy it because there's nothing better, learn to live with
> it because people are good at adjusting to things, and the
> computer people think they've done something wonderful, so they turn
> around and do it again, from scratch, and make it totally different
> than the last one.  That's because computer people love the work they
> are doing, and they would never want to do the same thing over and
> over again, and besides, it can be made more wonderful!  I know that,
> because I am a computer person.  But I've also watched people try to
> use computers for years, and there's not a computer system on earth
> that's as useful to a human being as a Makita cordless drill is to the
> average carpenter.  Or if it is, somebody will suddenly change the
> software on her to make it more wonderful, but it may not be able to
> read all of her data files; sorry.
>
> Anyway, PostScript is great because you can see it, edit it, write
> more of it, and even complain about it.  Most of us couldn't do any of
> these things if it weren't ASCII.  So what if it takes a little longer
> to get where it's going?  Besides, there are more MIPS and megabytes
> every time you wake up.
>
> There are people who care about whether a 100-page-per-minute printer
> keeps up to its rated speed, and there are specialized solutions for
> those people.  I value reliability and consistent output about 100
> to 1 over speed.  That is, I'd rather have a 1 ppm printer that always
> got the right answer, because I could go to sleep and have it print
> the draft of my book, than have a 100 ppm printer that couldn't print

> page 3 and wanted me to click "OK" when I woke up in the morning.

My current POSTSCRIPT printer does that to me, under windows....:-}

In article <22520@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jingbai  Wang) writes:

> I tend to agree with Glenn (at least on ASCII part). Adobe is one of the
> few successful computer companies founded by advanced degree holders. It
> could affort to use ASCII output format of commands, strings and integer
> as well as floating point numbers, instead of the traditional <ESC>+[+???
> +integer + strings, because the designers knew disk space, ROM and RAM
> would not be a restriction in a long run, and CPU would catch up soon.

You truly think that it requires advanced degrees to figure this out????!!!
Gimme a break,  the degrees mean nothing.  I'm sure that you know the
old saw about  BS degrees, MS degrees( more of the same) and PHD degrees
(Piled High and Deep)..

I'm not running the founders down here, it is just that the degree bit
has no relation whatsoever to success. Just look around you.  There are
LOTS of successful visionaries that never got out of grade school.

> ASCII format is good in the sense you can edit, transmit and store in very
> convenient and standard ways. But they are also bad in that there are no
> flags, escapes and others that can allow a programmer to interprete the
> results into other output formats. A full feature parser is nothing but
> a PostScript interpreter which can't be built trivially. On the other hand,
> any other printing languages in other types of printers can be interpreted
> and/or translated to another at very low cost. This made cloning difficult

Certainly.  But can you tell me *RIGHT NOW* without having to go grab a
manual, what the escape sequence for causing an HP Laserjet to move to
coordinates 100 100 and draw a linet to 112.5 301.89?
or howabout telling me how to image a bit map *RIGHT NOW* in Epson or
HP mode?

> In a word, Adobe is successful because the founder could see farther
> than others in the computer industry. ASCII is only a minor point. Actually,

True, but the degrees didn't necessarily enable them to do it.  Remember,
the concept was NOT original with them.  It came from PARC.....

:

kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) (02/26/90)

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

>True, but the degrees didn't necessarily enable them to do it.  Remember,
>the concept was NOT original with them.  It came from PARC.....

I agree about the bit on formal diplomas (but, if more diplomas don't
hinder your innovative thinking, they really don't do any harm :-); but
Woody, you may want to trace the Interpress history back a little to
find out who some of the people in that Xerox/PARC project were.

Granted, you may contend that it all started further back at PARC with
PRESS (Sproull et. al.).  But PRESS, if I remember correctly, was a
flat langauage (I do remember vividly, however, crashing the Dover at
Stanford numerous times by trying to send my own graphics PRESS commands
to it - I can admit that, now that the statute of limitations has
passed :-) :-).   PRESS, by my recollection, was akin to something like
PCL and imPRESS.

Oh yes, Jingbai, Interpress has all the closepath, fill, etc. features
that you deemed so important to PostScript's success and yet it has
never attained the position PostScript holds (whoops, now I will have
the folks at Webster labs on my back :-).  Gosh, even PRESS (ca. 1976?)
and imPRESS (ca. 1980) have closepath and fills way back when, in real-
world printers that you can touch (and even program, if you are among
the lunatic frindge :-).

Quick, Woody - what gets returned on the stack with a PostScript
"cachestatus" command?   *RIGHT NOW*(TM), no fair looking at the manual!
:-) :-)  (Just kidding.)

Wow, and all this started with Ivan giving the hex (pun intended) to
PostScript.

Regards,

jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jingbai Wang) (02/26/90)

In article <18028@rpp386.cactus.org|> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

|>You truly think that it requires advanced degrees to figure this out????!!!
|>Gimme a break,  the degrees mean nothing.  I'm sure that you know the
|>old saw about  BS degrees, MS degrees( more of the same) and PHD degrees
|>(Piled High and Deep)..
|>
|>I'm not running the founders down here, it is just that the degree bit
|>has no relation whatsoever to success. Just look around you.  There are
|>LOTS of successful visionaries that never got out of grade school.

I don't want to engage in a degree war with computer world, because I realized
in my job hunting effort that 95% of computer jobs are offered to BS or below,
MS might find a job, Ph.D. almost no way. But, if you turn back to educational
systems, you can clearly see that the more advanced the degree program you are
in the further you are from reality of today. In other words, many technologies
to be used 10-50 years later, are today's research topics in advanced degree
programs. Actually, advanced degree programs are designed to train a student
the ability to look far forward instead teaching you how to design a specific
steam engine. It is well known that many inventions were made by ones with
little formal education, and many great enterpricer have not got enough
education. In I.E. classes, people often talk about Lotus Development founder
and Basic language creator, or former
Apple Computer founders. Seldom do people talk about Adobe founders. By
advanced degrees here, what I want to say is really they are not only
technically excellent and trained to see at least 10-20 twenty years down the
road in such a rapidly developing industry, but they also could guide the
market and other developers successfully in long term point of view.
On the other hand, IBM forced other smaller computer manufacturers to use
DOS and Intel chips just because they are strong and big. Do you see long term
views in Lotus? and Apple computers then?

I am not saying that everybody has to get advanced degrees, but advanced
degree training did bring computer industry good, and Adobe is a good example.
By the way, TeX's author Don Knuth and Scribe's inventor Brian Reid are also
Ph.D.'s. I definitely do not agree to the ways the stories of Lotus are told in
the class to encourage people to quit BS to start a company to become a
millionair.

|>Certainly.  But can you tell me *RIGHT NOW* without having to go grab a
|>manual, what the escape sequence for causing an HP Laserjet to move to
|>coordinates 100 100 and draw a linet to 112.5 301.89?
|>or howabout telling me how to image a bit map *RIGHT NOW* in Epson or
|>HP mode?

No, I can't. You can't do it with PostScript either. I did not say traditional
escape manner was good for output, PostScript is certainly much more powerful.
But, ten years ago, with only 16k RAM in a Radio Shark TRS 80, and a tape
recorder to store data at 300 baud, those formats might be the most compact and
economic ones.

|>True, but the degrees didn't necessarily enable them to do it.  Remember,
|>the concept was NOT original with them.  It came from PARC.....
|>
|>:

I thought I did point out that most of PostScript ideas and algorithms
existed before its birth. But who really put them in market step by step?
Why did not they hesitate when so many people were shouting that PostScript
printing was so slow and expensive? Why did they not change ASCII format
into space-saving binary+flag+escape format when everybody was complaining
that network and disk spaces are jammed?

No, I don't think their degrees directly brought them to that point, but the
way they were trained in the advanced degrees did.

Folks, it is not steam engine's age now. Even if degrees are not important,
formal trainning and education are important. This does not mean Ph.D.'s
are more important than BS's. They are important in their own different
aspects, otherwise is not it redundant to have different levels of education?
It has become manditory to go through high school in many nations, but it
won't become true to Ph.D. in 1000 years.

JB Wang

lihan@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Bruce Bostwick) (02/26/90)

I must disagree about 'thinking backwards.'  I grew up programming in
algebraic-notation languages too, and originally had the same problem with
FORTH, PostScript, and my HP-41CX.

Then I discovered that RPN is actually SIMPLER than algebraic notation.
Sounds weird, but think about it:  _EVERY_ operation is simply a matter of
doing something to the numbers on the stack.  They can all be precisely
defined very easily, which makes proving your code much easier.  Variables
are a necessary evil which introduce more complication into your definitions.

It all depends, I guess, upon one's point of view.  I prefer RPN now, mainly
because I use it a lot and find algorithms easier to formulate in it.  You
may not -- but remember one is not necessarily 'forward' or 'backward' ...
or even 'right' or 'wrong' as some say it.

:-)

Internet:  lihan@vondrake.cc.utexas.edu   :-) aka BB/CIV (-:
BellNet:   (512)346-2744
SlowNet:   varies chaotically, e-mail for current value

nothing cute to say or disclaim -- sorry...

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/27/90)

In article <147@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:
>Anyway, PostScript is great because you can see it, edit it, write
>more of it, and even complain about it.

To paraphrase Alan Kay, perhaps PostScript is the first printer interface
method good enough to criticize (although I'd say Interpress is a close
second... :-)).

--

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/27/90)

In article <18028@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
| True, but the degrees didn't necessarily enable them to do it.  Remember,
| the concept was NOT original with them.  It came from PARC.....

So did the founders, silly, along with the original concept for PostScript.

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/27/90)

In article <147@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:
>No, I think PostScript succeeded mainly because it is ASCII.

I'd even go one step farther--I think PostScript succeeded mainly
because it's *source code*.  An ASCII format that isn't human readable
isn't really much better than a binary format.  Putting a real live
interpreter inside the printer was a stroke of genius.

--

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (02/27/90)

In article <147@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:

> No, I think PostScript succeeded mainly because it is ASCII.  People
> can understand something that they can see.  People like that.  A lot
> of the software in the world is screwed up in one way or another, and
> people love to be able to fix things that are broken.  And they can
> fix them if they are expressed in ASCII.  Or at least they can see
> them and know that there is something broken in there that they can't
> quite understand, so they want to know more about it.  So they learn
> it, and have fun with it, and tell somebody else about it.

> A hell of a lot more people know how to work text editors than
> know how to read octal dumps.  You can drag graphic designers
> and sales people (not to slight them, of course, but to pick some folks
> who probably have never written any programs) into a classroom and
> get them to print their names on a sheet of paper in 100 point Times
> Roman in about 15 minutes.  Try to do that with a binary-encoded
> token stream with packed arrays, 0-padded bytes, run-length
> encoded bits, checksums, and end-of-file indicators.

> Anyway, PostScript is great because you can see it, edit it, write
> more of it, and even complain about it.  Most of us couldn't do any of
> these things if it weren't ASCII.  So what if it takes a little longer
> to get where it's going?  Besides, there are more MIPS and megabytes
> every time you wake up.

People are very inconsistent and silly, and so the things they create tend
to be the same way.  One of the really nice things about PostScript is that
you can explain the Show operator and the Translate operator and even let
them write some toy programs (like those in the Blue Book) that really do
some amazing things.  They fool themselves into thinking they know the silly
language, but that's just fine, because when they finally buy the printer
and look at the work involved in writing their next book in Postscript (:-)
they fall back to TEK or Runoff or whatever, which could just as easily
emit Interpress or Impress or Linotron Cora as Postscript, maybe even easier.
So their fantasy that they know the language is never tested against reality.

I wrote a program that printed Linotron Binary Byte out in readable format,
and I wrote a program that printed Imagen Impress out in readable format,
and these satisfied my need to read and debug output from Real Programs just
fine, thank you.  Agreed that expressing PS in readable ASCII allows people
not capable of doing this the ability to debug program output.  Maybe.
You read a Macintosh control-f dump sometime.

This is akin to buying a new computer based on its array of fancy CISC
instructions like "Insert in Balanced Binary Tree and Balance" then when you
get the damn thing using only higher level language compilers like C that
never generate an instruction more complicated than "Move Register to Memory".
Typical Human inconsistency.

Oops, jumped track to the RISC diatribe -- back to the PS diatribe.  IMHO
PS was successful because it became a de-facto standard at a time when a
standard was desparately needed but the existing standards organizations were
piddling around with CGM/GKS versus (well, insert your own acronyms here).
People needed a standard, PS was 90% of what they needed and it was here
(i.e. people thought Apple would produce LW for a reasonably long time) and
they couldn't afford to wait for GKS or something like it to give them that
last 10%.

--
Sig     DS.L    ('ZBen')       ; Ben Cranston <zben@Trantor.UMD.EDU>
* Network Infrastructures Group, Computer Science Center

ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) (02/27/90)

There have been several emotional responses to my recent posting about
the deficiencies of PostScript, but nobody disputed my claims by
offering some technical counter arguments.

So most of you seem to like PostScript, and you think that one of its
best features is that it supports only a readable format.  You describe
PostScript as it was some new version of BASIC or LEGO, and you like to
code in that language.

The only problem is that PostScript was not designed for that purpose,
and most of the time it is not used the same way as, for example, BASIC.

John Warnock described PostScript as a "hidden layer" between a printer
driver and a printer.  Most of the time (99.99% of the time) people are
using desktop-publishing applications, such as PageMaker or Ventura-
Publisher, to indirectly generate PostScript.  They are not directly
writing PostScript code.  When you request a printout, the application
calls a driver for your printer, the driver generates PostScript code,
and PostScript code is sent to a PostScript interpreter or stored in a
file.  Most of the time PostScript code is automatically generated,
interpreted, and discarded, without ever being seen by a human being.

Sometimes PostScript is transmitted to another computer, or to a
remote PostScript printer.  Only occassionally somebody looks at the
PostScript code because something goes wrong, or an adjustment has to
be made, and that adjustment cannot easily be made by using an
application program.

The fact is that the readable format is NEEDED only when you have
to manually change or debug a PostScript program, or when you have to
transmit it over a communications channel that does not transmit
binary data reliably.  To insist that a readable format is needed all
the time is like insisting that all computer applications should be
distributed in a much longer, debugging version that preserves the
line numbers in source code, because somebody someday may want to
debug them.

Have you ever stopped to think why do you have to code directly in
PostScript?  Most of the time the problem is that an application
does not give you access to the full power of PostScript, and the
only way you can achieve a particular special effect is to code
it yourself.

If PostScript was used only by a small number of people, I would
understand your lack of concern about how efficiently page descriptions
are encoded in PostScript, and how the efficiency of PostScript
compares with other methods of encoding the same data.

I have to remind you that PostScript was proposed as the ONLY method
for encoding page descriptions in all countries of the world, because
that will facilitate the transmission of page descriptions to remote
computers and printers.  When you propose a new world standard for
storing and transmitting image data, you may want to check the
efficiency of your encoding, not to please me, but to avoid wasting
billions of dollars.

Let us assume that there are 1,000,000 people in the world who use
PostScript, and that each person on average wastes 1MB of disk
storage and 1 hour of time each year because of inefficient encoding.
The total waste would be huge year after year.  I think that the
actual numbers are much greater, and growing each year.  Not to
mention the Kanji version of PostScript.

I find it ironic that the users of USENET, who are used to the
warnings about wasting the bandwidth on our network, do not seem to
be very concerned about the efficiency of PostScript.

Just how inefficient is the PostScript readable format?  I had the
opportunity to compare page descriptions in PostScript with the
corresponding page descriptions in a language that supported both
a readable and binary format.  Depending on what kind of statements
you use, and how many bytes are taken by comment statements, you
can reduce the number of bytes needed to encode a given image by
as much as 90%.  You people are telling me that this does not
matter, and that the fact that PostScript supports only a readable
format is of minor importance.

It is true that a PostScript program is usually more compact than
a bitmap that can be produced from that code, but nobody can tell
me that a statement such as:

    /Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont 20 scalefont setfont

is the most compact way of specifying that you want a particular
20-point font.  What do you think a PostScript interpreter does
with these long names as it scans the input stream of characters?
It immediately replaces them with more compact codes.

Some of you suggested that I should simply pay more if I wanted
to transmit page descriptions faster.  That is like saying that
I should simply buy more gas if the engine in my car is not
designed to be very efficient.  I was hoping that at least some
people from California would be concerned about unnecessary wasting
of scarce resources.

There are many programs which can be used to compress PostScript
code.  The problem is that such code cannot be transmitted
directly to a PostScript printer.  You have to implement some
program or device at the printer side that will decompress the
PostScript code before it is sent to the PostScript interpreter.

Some of the QMS interpreters accept a binary format just as
easily as the corresponding readable format.  You do not have
to specify any options or set any switches.  You just send
your code to the interpreter in one of the supported formats.
By default, the driver for a PostScript printer should generate
PostScript in a compact, binary format.  The driver should
generate PostScript in a readable format upon request.  A couple
of years ago, I implemented such a feature in one of my Windows
printer drivers.

Which binary format should we use for PostScript?  It could
be proposed by Adobe.  I understand that Adobe already uses a
binary format in its Display PostScript.  Alternatively, we
could design an efficient binary format in this newsgroup and
submit our proposal to the companies which have developed
PostScript interpreters.  We could implement the proposed
format in the QMS UltraScript interpreter to see how it works.

I think that it is about time that we make a substantial contribution
to the PostScript language in this group, instead of quarelling
about less important things.

When we finish designing the PostScript binary format, we could
design the user interface for an application like the Adobe
Illustrator that will give us access to the full power of
PostScript.  Then we could implement such an interface under
Microsoft Windows, OS/2 Presentation Manager, X windows, etc.

We should also do something about the executive or interactive
use of PostScript.  Have you ever tried to use a PostScript
interpreter in interactive mode?  Most user interfaces for this
mode are worse than BASICA.  You cannot load a PostScript program,
submit it for interactive interpretation, edit it, or resubmit
it the way you can do that with a program written in BASIC.  We
could assign some line numbers to PostScript statements, so that
we can easily refer to them.  Those line numbers would not become
part of the source code.  Such a user interface would be much
more useful for learning PostScript than the current interfaces
which scroll the statements off the top of the screen, and force
you to reenter all statements if you make a slightest mistake.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/28/90)

> Putting a real live interpreter inside the printer was a stroke of
> genius.

Remark: Too bad they didn't consider putting a compiler in the printer.

I agree that "clone" is a stupid term to use.  PC's don't execute C
clones, the 2nd PASCAL compiler was not a PASCAL clone, etc etc ad
infinitum.

Adobe has set a dangerous precedent by releasing a language that was
part proprietary, part public-domain.  Too bad they didn't have the
smarts to make the entire language public-domain.

Interpress failed because Xerox sat on it for several years ( >3).
Postscript forced Xerox to wake up and smell the coffee, too late.

Interpress theoretically has an ascii form, but the language went
further and specified a compiled binary form, which was a case of the
designers being too sure of themselves for their own good 8-).
This is probably a case of the fabled "second system" effect, where
they second version of something does *everything* and becomes a
hulking behemoth.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

munck@chance.uucp (Robert Munck) (02/28/90)

In article <9457@imagen.UUCP> ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
>Let us assume that there are 1,000,000 people in the world who use
>PostScript, and that each person on average wastes 1MB of disk
>storage and 1 hour of time each year because of inefficient encoding.
>The total waste would be huge year after year.  I think that the
>actual numbers are much greater, and growing each year.

Wow!  Suppose there were 10,000,000, and they each waste 20MB and 40 hours!
Or even 1,000,000,000 and each wastes 2,000MB and 9,000 hours a year!
That would be even huger.

> Not to mention the Kanji version of PostScript.

Yeah!  Not to mention it!

>...  Such a user interface would be much
>more useful for learning PostScript than the current interfaces
>which scroll the statements off the top of the screen, and force
>you to reenter all statements if you make a slightest mistake.

Or how about this crummy TTY that you have to use to do PostScript,
where the paper keeps getting tangled out the back and the ribbon runs
out of ink?  That was a really stupid way for Adobe to design PostScript.
I've had to type this note in from the beginning over a hundred and
fifty times because I keep making slight mistakes.  Boo!
                                -- Bob Munck
                 -- Bob <Munck@MITRE.ORG>, linus!munck.UUCP
                 -- MS Z676, MITRE Corporation, McLean, VA 22120
                 -- 703/883-6688

philip@minnie.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (02/28/90)

This discussion is on the point of becoming silly. Meta-points about
whether it's a good discussion or not need be no longer than this.

Some good points HAVE come out of it. Let's not stifle debate, but on
the other hand a bit of brevity would not be out of place either.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) (02/28/90)

munck@chance.UUCP (Robert Munck) writes:

>Wow!  Suppose there were 10,000,000, and they each waste 20MB and 40 hours!
>Or even 1,000,000,000 and each wastes 2,000MB and 9,000 hours a year!
>That would be even huger.
Since you work for a defense contractor, you must be so used to wasting our
tax dollars that we could not possibly expect you to be interested in any cost
saving measures.  The rest of us have to pay our bills ourselves.  I am almost
certain that you have never used a PostScript interpreter in the executive or
interactive mode, and have no idea what I am talking about.

In article <9465@imagen.UUCP> ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:

>I am almost
>certain that you have never used a PostScript interpreter in the executive or
>interactive mode, and have no idea what I am talking about.

It's a pretty safe bet that he doesn't use it in the way that you implied
(i.e. by typing raw postscript directly at a printers input port) since
no one in their right mind would do that.  What's wrong with using a computer
editor (which most people would already have and know how to use) to
manipulate the postscript code instead of expecting the printer to provide
one?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Mar1.055001.13273@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> It's a pretty safe bet that he doesn't use it in the way that you implied
> (i.e. by typing raw postscript directly at a printers input port) since
> no one in their right mind would do that.  What's wrong with using a computer

First of all, the PS printer does not provide any kind of editor, with the
exception of destructive backspace.  That makes it tough to enter code
directly in executive mode.  In general, I use a editor to do the work.
However, there is no substitte for being able to toggle into executive
and watch and experiment with what things do.  It's the simplest way
to get a complex stack manipulation working.

Cheers
Woody

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (03/02/90)

In article <9447@imagen.UUCP>, ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
> >UltraScript is not an Adobe product; it is a clone PostScript interpreter
> >made by Imagen/QMS.
> I am getting tired of reading about PostScript "clones."  The word "clone"
> had never been used to describe the implementation of a procedural language
> until Adobe started using it to refer to the implementations of the PostScript
> language by other companies.  Have you ever heard of a COBOL or FORTRAN clone?

Without judging whether "clone" is really appropriate, let's consider why
it is used here.  "Clone" is used to refer to a (presumably) workalike
product which is based on an existing product.  Thus we speak of an "AT
clone" when we're talking about "a personal computer which is intended to
be a workalike to an IBM PC/AT"--where the "IBM PC/AT" part is a trademark.
We don't speak of FORTRAN or COBOL clones because they are not trademarks.
Cutting it a bit finer, we don't speak of Ada clones even though Ada is a
trademark, because the trademark isn't based in a product.  PostScript is a
trademark, and there's a specific set of products behind it, and the use of
the name is licensed to the creator of the original product.  Certainly
there are clones of other software products, and they're called "clones."
It shouldn't be taken as pejorative; there certainly exist products which
have been bettered by their "clones."

> Have you ever heard of a proposal for a new world standard for the storing
> and transmitting of image data that wastes up to 90% of the communication
> channel's capacity?...

No I haven't.  Let's dodge the innuendo and get to the point:  Is this
directed at PostScript?  I assume so since it was posted to this newsgroup.
I'll assume that for the other innuendoes as well.

But PostScript is not a "world standard for the storing and transmitting of
image data."  It is a page description language.  Although it provides one
mechanism for accepting transmitted image data, it does not preclude
others.  In fact, by its very programmable nature, it allows others.  It
says absolutely nothing about storing image data.

For what PostScript is really intended to do, it might waste as much as a
factor of two.  Where do you get 90%?

>...Have you ever heard of a modern procedural language
> whose deficiencies are covered up by extending it with specific versions
> of comment statements?...

Wrong.  If the language were extended by these comments, they wouldn't be
comments, would they?  The comment conventions provide information which is
explicitly outside the scope of PostScript.

And this IS something which has been done in other procedural languages.
It is most commonly called a "pragma," although pragma covers more than
that.

>...Have you ever heard of a procedural language in
> public domain whose most important component has been encrypted?...

What part of the language is encrypted?  Consider the answer carefully; I
said "language," not "implementation."  In fact, what is encrypted is the
descriptions of the fonts, for the very simple reason that if Adobe hadn't
agreed to encrypt them, they wouldn't have gotten the licenses from the
typeface "manufacturers".  Is this the issue?  I admit I may be missing the
point.

>...Have
> you ever heard of a procedural language in public domain whose name you
> are not allowed to use when you implement that language?

Yes, I have.  If I go back as far as I can remember for the beginnings of
such issues...I think the name you want is TRAC?  Look for references
to articles by/about Calvin Mooers, if I'm not mistaken...although that's a
very old one, which is why I'm having trouble remembering it.  Or look for
work by Doug Ross way back in the early '60's.  Look carefully at the terms
under which "Simula" can be used.  For something more modern, how about
Eiffel--isn't that owned by Interactive Software (no relation to my employ-
er, BTW)?  If you're not hung up on procedural languages for the example,
look at the various database languages with protected names.

There are probably more language names which *are* trademarks than not.
The designers of languages often try to protect the name from abuse until
the language is established...because software products are still products
and still carry issues like "brand identification."

Finally, what do you mean by "public domain"?  Is the definition of Post-
Script in the public domain?  I claim ignorance on the finer points there;
I'm only trying to point out that "published" and "generally available" are
not the same as "public domain."

> ...If we leave it to Adobe to design our
> page and document description languages, by year 2000 we will still have to
> waste our time preprocessing arithmetic expressions from the usual format
> supported by the first high-level procedural language into the Reverse
> Polish notation in order to make it easier to interpret such expressions.

But most PostScript is machine generated anyway...and normal machine trans-
lation of arithmetic expressions goes through a transformation which is
computationally equivalent to the transformation to postfix.

Who's leaving it to Adobe, anyway?  If you sit and watch, I'm sure Adobe
will keep going, but what's holding you back?

> The general-purpose programming part of our page description languages
> will be at the level of a programmable calculator...

(What's wrong with that, given where programmable calculators will be in
2000?:-)  What is the PostScript language missing?

>...and we will still have
> to worry about doing our own gargabe collection, so that we do not run out
> of virtual memory...

How does this apply to PostScript?  It doesn't.  It is neither possible nor
necessary to do garbage collection in a PostScript program, as far as I can
tell.  (If it were, you couldn't print a document of arbitrary length.)

>...We will still have printer drivers that convert compact
> image descriptions in binary format into very readable long words that are
> never seen by a human being...

This is confusing at best.  If you're sending image descriptions to a
PostScript printer, they're not terribly readable.  If you don't like the
level of encoding, re-encode it and let a PostScript program decode on the
other end.  That way you can choose whatever encoding fits.

If you meant descriptions of text, line drawings, and such, and you're
referring to the PostScript operators, the solution to getting rid of long
names is trivial--bind short names to them (or more likely, to the specific
code sequences you need which contain them).

>...We will keep waiting for that readable data
> to be sent over a 9600-baud communications link to a printer controller..

Maybe you will.  I won't.  I don't even now.  My PostScript printer gets
data a whole bunch faster than 9600 baud, since I hung it off the parallel
port.  Talk to QMS; get them to show you the PS-810...nice printer.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.

rodgers@csc.wcc.govt.nz (03/02/90)

In article <18027@rpp386.cactus.org>, woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
> In article <147@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>> No, I think PostScript succeeded mainly because it is ASCII.  People
>> can understand something that they can see.  People like that.  A lot
>
> Absolutely, but I think it should be full 8 bits...

Given that

a) ASCII is only a 7 bit code, and
b) some communication channels are only 7 bits wide,

it seems like a good idea from a device independence point of view to
restrict PostScript to 7 bits.  It stops people with 8 bits writing code
that is useless to people with only 7 bits.

The reason that most people complain is because most PostScript
images tend to be transmitted in hex resulting in twice as much data.
What people forget is that the format of the image is not defined by
PostScript.  It's just that because most people are too lazy to code
there own routine to read the data (readsevenbitstring??) and use
readhexstring that the image is so big.

We often see discussion in this newsgroup about the merits of
run length encoding for images.  Mostly the people who hae tried it
say that it doesn't gain you anything.  But on what processors?  On an
old 68000 based printer this is probably e true but what about the 68020
based printers?  What about the 68030 or 68040 or whatever else
printers that will probably come out in the future?  Printer
controllers are getting faster and faster while baud rates are
remaining constant so it won't be long before a PostScript printer can
print an image much faster than a HP-PCL printer.  Unless of course HP
come out with PCL level n (n > 5) that supports run length encoded
images.  But PostScript doesn't need any new features.  We can
implement whatever we like now.

The strength of PostScript and why I think it has caught on is
that it is a full computer language and we can do anything we like
with it.
--
Mark Rodgers                                          Computer Services Section
rodgers@wcc.govt.nz                                     Wellington City Council

hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (03/03/90)

In article <9457@imagen.UUCP> ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) writes:
>...would be concerned about unnecessary wasting of scarce resources.

I'm not aware that the resources involved are particularly scarce - in
my environment. We don't generally store PostScript on disk devices -
so disk space, which is not scarce here anyway, is not a wasted resource.
The time to download PostScript is generally neglible with regard to the
time to image it - so we don't waste a lot of time.
The AppleTalk networks are multi-access, but the printers aren't, so
users time is not particularly wasted either. The Unix attached PostScript
engines are on dedicated serial lines that aren't used for anything else.

What could be regarded as a waste is the 20K or so of PostScript preamble
that most desktop publishing software (especially on Unix) includes because
the imaging model of the software is not PostScript, and so a new virtual
machine must be defined.  That annoys me a little - but not as much as
this discussion does.

--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bmerh490 or  HWT@BNR.CA

libacct@ms.uky.edu (Library Account) (03/03/90)

In article <149@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> | True, but the degrees didn't necessarily enable them to do it.  Remember,
> | the concept was NOT original with them.  It came from PARC.....
>
> So did the founders, silly, along with the original concept for PostScript.

Well, the original concept for PostScript began when John Warnock was
working for Dave Evans and Ivan Sutherland.  E & S designed a simulator
of New York harbor with full color 3-D representations of everything
in it for the Maritime Academy.  Rather than hard-code the database of
3-D objects in the harbor, they designed a language that would allow
them do describe the objects in a text file, then compile it for
use by the simulator imager.

When Warnock moved to PARC, the harbor simulator design was reimplemented
in a interpreted graphics experimentation workbench which they called
JaM (John and Martin Newell).  This system was the foundation for
Interpress.

After leaving PARC and starting Adobe, PostScript became Warnock's third
implementation of the design.

John Coppinger
University of Kentucky

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (03/05/90)

In article <1990Feb27.215310.962@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>This discussion is on the point of becoming silly. Meta-points about
>whether it's a good discussion or not need be no longer than this.
>
>Some good points HAVE come out of it. Let's not stifle debate, but on
>the other hand a bit of brevity would not be out of place either.

I agree that this is a fascinating discussion, but it is getting out of
the bounds of this newsgroup.  May I suggest that a mailing group be
formed (someone, preferably in the US, would moderate) to discuss
PostScript extensions.  I would be very interested, and I am sure that
someone from Adobe would also join (Ross maybe?)

Comments, please.
"AI is also an acronym for Artificial Ignorance"

Ian Farquhar                      Phone : (612) 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : (612) 805-7433
Macquarie University  NSW  2109   Also  : (612) 805-7205
Australia                         Telex : AA122377

ACSNet ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au  ifarqhar@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au