[comp.lang.postscript] what version of PS

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (03/05/90)

I just finished reading the composite font document from the file-server.

A crucial bit of information has  been
left out of it.  I'm hoping some one can fill it in for me.
What version of Postscript supports the composite extension.  Are they
supported in my version 47.0a in the
PS-810 ? This info was left out.  In addition, the document detailing the
additions to the langague, which I  havent gotten yes, doe it inform you
of what versions support what?

I think  this info probably needs to either be there, or
in the automatic posting
Cheers
Woody

jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) (03/06/90)

In article <18097@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>What version of Postscript supports the composite extension.  Are they
>supported in my version 47.0a in the PS-810 ?

Printers with the composite font extensions currently available only in
Japan.  The Apple LaserWriter NTX-J is an example of a printer with these
extensions.  Generally, the printers which support composite fonts are more
expensive, since they also include a hard disk or extra RAM to hold the
composite fonts.  (The composite fonts are quite large; the Kanji character
set supported in our implementation consists of over 7,000 characters per
font.)

Rumor has it that the U.S. may soon see printers with the composite font
extensions, but I don't know of any that are announced at this time.

Ross Jeynes
Developer Support                                   jeynes@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated                 {sun|decwrl}!adobe!jeynes