[comp.lang.postscript] What gsave saves

jaa@cs.su.oz (James Ashton) (03/05/90)

In article <18088@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>On a related topic, does anyone know EXACTLY what is preserved by a gsave.
>grestore pair.  The books say "the current graphics state" and give some
>general things, but so far, I have never seen a comprehensive list of
>EVERYTHING that gets saved.  This would be imensely helpful...

According the (old) manual that I have, "gsave saves only the current
Graphics State, pushing a copy of it onto the Graphics State stack".
It lists the complete set of Graphics State parameters as:

	CTM	Current Transformation matrix
	color
	cp	Current Position
	path	the current path
	clip	the current clipping path
	font	the current font dictionary
	line width
	line cap
	line join
	screen	a collection of PostScript objects that define the
		current halftone screen pattern for grey and colour
	transfer an executable procedure that maps user grey levels
		into device grey levels
	flatness
	miter-limit
	dash
	device	an internal data structure that describes the
		current output device

						James Ashton

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woody at Eagle Signal) (03/06/90)

In article <742@cluster.cs.su.oz>, jaa@cs.su.oz (James Ashton) writes:
> In article <18088@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>
> 						James Ashton

Thanks.  One wonders why stuff like this was left out of the newer manuals.
Somewhere I have a crufty old (8 1/2 *11) manual that was the for-runner for
the RED book.  I guess I'll have to go hunt it down.  Thanks
Cheers
Woody

BTW.  It looks like I maybe moveing to another site.  Due to the CRAPOLA
going on with AT&T grabbing systems, (several major Texas systems) it appears
that Rpp386 is going to server mode.  I have made arrangements to keep
an active dial-in line on another system, and a news/mail feed on the current
one.  Until further notice, continue to use my current address for mail...
Cheers
Woody

P.S.  It looks like this is NOT going to interfere with the automated posting,
but it really sent me scrambling to find a node so that I could maintain it.

Cheers
Woody