[comp.lang.postscript] content of graphics state

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (03/05/90)

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>...On a related topic, does anyone know EXACTLY what is preserved by a gsave.
> grestore pair.  The books say "the current graphics state" and give some
> general things, but so far, I have never seen a comprehensive list of
> EVERYTHING that gets saved.  This would be imensely helpful...

After an extensive period of research lasting almost 45 seconds, I've
located a fairly accurate answer.  Look in the _PostScript_Language_Ref-
erence_Manual_ (aka "red book"), section 4.3.

Must be another case of those sneaky folks at Adobe hiding information from
us...who would have guessed that you'd find what's in "the current graphics
state" by looking in a section entitled "GRAPHICS STATE"?  And even if you
get that close, they try to throw you off track by introducing the table of
values with a statement like "The complete set of graphics state parameters
is summarized below."  Worse still, the table only shows graphics state
values up to when the book was published, and nothing more recent.

(C'mon Woody...you can do better than that!:-)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woody at Eagle Signal) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar5.045050.9227@ico.isc.com>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
> After an extensive period of research lasting almost 45 seconds, I've
> located a fairly accurate answer.  Look in the _PostScript_Language_Ref-
> erence_Manual_ (aka "red book"), section 4.3.

duhhhh.  I definitly should have RTFM..sigh.  I had just run accross
a short single sentence that stated that fonts, and the CTM were saved,
but it went no further.  Obviously I didn't either...

Cheers
Woody