[comp.lang.postscript] UltraScript/PC with 640K

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (03/04/90)

	Has anyone here gotten USPC to work on 640K machine? QMS says it
works, but is painful.  In our case, we have a Fountain 286 with 640K,
of which 590K is free, and still we get VM Errors, not enough memory.
	If anybody who has used it on a 640K machine could tell us the
exact amount of free memory reported by USMEM on their machine, it could
help us to say that this is enough, and to look for the problem
elsewhere.

	For instance, the other suspect is the interesting anomaly
that USMEM reports that the machine has:
	0K extended memory
	-1024K available.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

ral@apolling (Robert A. Lerche) (03/06/90)

To run UltraScript PC in a 640K system edit the VM.CFG file (usually
found in C:\USPC) and add the following line (starting in column 1):

	MINMEM 384

You will need to use the USPRINT program (as opposed to the
USPC program) to print files, since USPC (the full-blown user interface)
takes more memory than USPRINT.

Version 2.0 of UltraScript PC escaped with an incorrect default value
for this parameter (oops!).

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (03/07/90)

In article <9480@imagen.UUCP>, ral@apolling (Robert A. Lerche) writes:
> To run UltraScript PC in a 640K system edit the VM.CFG file (usually
> found in C:\USPC) and add the following line (starting in column 1):
>
> 	MINMEM 384
>
> Version 2.0 of UltraScript PC escaped with an incorrect default value
> for this parameter (oops!).

	That's not all.  There is also a line in VM.CFG that seems to
default to:
	MEMORY 4000

	This has to be reset to a number just slightly below the actual
free memory.  I used 'MEMORY 580.'

	After using 'USPC/n' to configure the printer, USPRINT worked,
and reported having to swap 438K, which is presumably the minimum free
memory you can get away with (a few TSRs might go back now...) -- it
worked like a dog, but it's supposed to on a system without extended
memory.  The thing is, it did work.

	Thank you for the suggestion.  At least I don't feel so bad for
not seeing it in the manual.  It ISN'T in the  manual!
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
              (1935-14E Eastchester Rd., Bronx NY 10461, 212-931-2517)
          "Disinformation is one thing, but misinformation is unforgiveable."