[comp.lang.postscript] What's going on at Abode? Stock up over 5 points!

schwer@unix.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) (03/08/90)

I've noted the price of Adobe stock has moved up over 5 points
in the past two day; not including today. Must be something
impressive happening to cause 20% increase in two days!
		--Len Schwer   micro2.schwer@sri.com

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (03/08/90)

In article <9889@unix.SRI.COM> schwer@unix.sri.com (Len Schwer) writes:

>I've noted the price of Adobe stock has moved up over 5 points
>in the past two day; not including today. Must be something
>impressive happening to cause 20% increase in two days!

I believe that IBM adopted Adobe's font technology for OS/2.  This
brings up the gruesome scenario of different font formats in IBM's OS/2
and Microsoft's OS/2.  Ugh.  I'll be curious to see how the Adobe
hinting scheme compares with the Apple Royal scheme, which seems very
general.

Anyway, congrats to Adobe.  I eagerly await my Black Book.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/08/90)

In article <9889@unix.SRI.COM>, schwer@unix (Len Schwer) writes:
>I've noted the price of Adobe stock has moved up over 5 points
>in the past two day; not including today. Must be something
>impressive happening to cause 20% increase in two days!

Might it have something to do with Big Brother's (oops!  I mean Big
Blue's) statement of intention to standardize on Adobe Postscript for
all of their SAA-compliant systems?

Boy, first NextStep, now this.  What's the world coming to?  And given
recent events in eastern Europe, pretty soon you won't be able to tell
who the bad guys are without a score card...  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) (03/09/90)

In article <3609@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>I believe that IBM adopted Adobe's font technology for OS/2.  This
>brings up the gruesome scenario of different font formats in IBM's OS/2
>and Microsoft's OS/2.  Ugh.  I'll be curious to see how the Adobe

Actually, the announcement was that IBM will support the Adobe font
technology in all of their SAA (Systems Applications Architecture)
platforms; so this includes much more than just OS/2.  It also includes
mainframes, AIX platforms, etc.

IBM said that they will support the Royal font format, as well as the Adobe
fonts, in their version of OS/2, but they also indicated that the Adobe
font technology would be the "default."  (The official name for Royal is
now True Type, I think.)  Apparently there has not yet been a decision made
about wether True Type will be supported by IBM on platforms other than
OS/2.

Ross Jeynes
Developer Support                                           jeynes@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated                         {sun|decwrl}!adobe!jeynes

scott@futures.UUCP (Scott Boyd) (03/09/90)

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>In article <9889@unix.SRI.COM> schwer@unix.sri.com (Len Schwer) writes:
>>
>>I've noted the price of Adobe stock has moved up over 5 points
>>in the past two day; not including today. Must be something
>>impressive happening to cause 20% increase in two days!

>I believe that IBM adopted Adobe's font technology for OS/2.  This
>brings up the gruesome scenario of different font formats in IBM's OS/2
>and Microsoft's OS/2.  Ugh.  I'll be curious to see how the Adobe
>hinting scheme compares with the Apple Royal scheme, which seems very
>general.

Actually, IBM just stated they weren't taking sides in the Adobe versus
Microsoft/Apple debate. They will let the market decide. In the meantime,
Microsoft announced that will provide it's font technology with the
generic version of OS/2. Of course, Microsoft doesn't have anything to
ship -- so its all vapor anyway.

--
| Scott Boyd          | Security is an illusion,    | Commodity Futures, Inc. |