[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe Type 1 Font Specification Available

jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) (03/07/90)

Quoting from the press release:

"Mountian View, California  (March 5th, 1990) - Adobe Systems Incorporated
announced today that it has published the Adobe Type 1 Font Format, a book
containing the complete specifications for Adobe's Type 1 Font format.

"The 102 page book describes the syntax of Adobe's Type 1 font format,
including complete information regarding hints, encoding of character
outlines, and the encryption and decryption algorithms.

"Adobe registered developers will receive a free copy of the book by mail.
All other interested parties may order a copy by calling Adobe Systems in
Mountain View at 1-800-83-FONTS.  Attendees at the Seybold Seminars Ninety
publishing conference in Boston can order a copy at the Adobe booth.
Designed to cover Adobe's costs, the price of the book is $14.95."

Ross Jeynes
Developer Support                                          jeynes@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated                        {sun|decwrl}!adobe!jeynes

jgreely@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (03/07/90)

In article <1934@adobe.UUCP> jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) writes:
>"Mountian View, California  (March 5th, 1990) - Adobe Systems Incorporated
>announced today that it has published the Adobe Type 1 Font Format, a book
>containing the complete specifications for Adobe's Type 1 Font format.

But what *color* is it? :-)

			"I stopped thinking of HyperTalk as a
			 real programming language when I
			 realized that 'get line 1 of card
			 field short name of the target' was
			 *concise*."
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) (03/08/90)

In article <1934@adobe.UUCP> jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) writes:
>"Adobe registered developers will receive a free copy of the book by mail.
>All other interested parties may order a copy by calling Adobe Systems in
>Mountain View at 1-800-83-FONTS.  Attendees at the Seybold Seminars Ninety

Several people have pointed out to me that people outside the U.S. cannot
reach 1-800 numbers.  If you wish to order the Type 1 Font Spec., but cannot
reach the 800 number, there are still two other options:

    1) Call the Adobe Amsterdam office and ask for Christina Pillitu.  The
       Amsterdam office number is 31-20-767-661.

    2) Call the Adobe Developer Association voice mailbox in Mountain View,
       and leave a message requesting the order form, along with your
       earth-mail address.  The Developer Association voice mailbox number
       is (415) 961-4111.

Hope this helps.

keil@apollo.HP.COM (Mark Keil) (03/08/90)

In article <1934@adobe.UUCP> jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) writes:
> Quoting from the press release:
>
> "Mountian View, California  (March 5th, 1990) - Adobe Systems Incorporated
> announced today that it has published the Adobe Type 1 Font Format, a book
> containing the complete specifications for Adobe's Type 1 Font format.

Thanks, Ross! I ordered mine just a minute ago.

Now, the question that many will want to know (and that I forgot to ask on the phone...)

  What color will this one be?!

 Mark

 Mark Keil               Apollo Computer,  Chelmsford MA 01824
 +1 508-256-6600 x2495   keil@apollo.com  /  {decvax,mit-erl,yale}!apollo!keil

renner@adobe.com (John Renner) (03/08/90)

In article <JGREELY.90Mar6225254@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>But what *color* is it? :-)

Its cover is Black & White.
Since the title on the binding spine is on a black field,
I would dub it "The Black Book". ;-)

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (03/08/90)

In article <1941@adobe.UUCP> renner@adobe.COM (John Renner) writes:
>In article <JGREELY.90Mar6225254@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>But what *color* is it? :-)
>
>Its cover is Black & White.
>Since the title on the binding spine is on a black field,
>I would dub it "The Black Book". ;-)

Damn!  We were betting that the next four books (?!) would be the Cyan,
Magenta, Yellow, and Black Books, in that order.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat

kevina@apple.com (This space for rent) (03/09/90)

In article <3607@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
> In article <1941@adobe.UUCP> renner@adobe.COM (John Renner) writes:
> >In article <JGREELY.90Mar6225254@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely
<jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> >>But what *color* is it? :-)
> >
> >Its cover is Black & White.
> >Since the title on the binding spine is on a black field,
> >I would dub it "The Black Book". ;-)
>
> Damn!  We were betting that the next four books (?!) would be the Cyan,
> Magenta, Yellow, and Black Books, in that order.

Well, the so-called "Blue Book" is already cyan, actually.  I was hoping
for one of the Pantone colors myself...

--Kevin [kevina@apple.com]
"The 3-D ray-tracing extensions are described in chapter 4 of the PMS 2635
CV Book..."

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (03/13/90)

In article <3607@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>In article <1941@adobe.UUCP> renner@adobe.COM (John Renner) writes:
>>In article <JGREELY.90Mar6225254@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>>But what *color* is it? :-)
>>
>>Its cover is Black & White.
>>Since the title on the binding spine is on a black field,
>>I would dub it "The Black Book". ;-)
>
>Damn!  We were betting that the next four books (?!) would be the Cyan,
>Magenta, Yellow, and Black Books, in that order.

Obviously, this book is so important that it subsumes the hypothetical
Cyan, Magenta and Yellow books.  Hence the cover contains a mix of all
three of them.
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com

stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (03/14/90)

In article <JGREELY.90Mar6225254@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <1934@adobe.UUCP> jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) writes:
>>"Mountian View, California  (March 5th, 1990) - Adobe Systems Incorporated
>>announced today that it has published the Adobe Type 1 Font Format, a book
>>containing the complete specifications for Adobe's Type 1 Font format.
>
>But what *color* is it? :-)

It's the "Black And White" book, but its filled with "BlueFuzz" [no
kidding!]. It's well written and quite interesting for those who have
wondered and waited.

>J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

andrew

!!         Andrew Stone             !!          Stone Design Corp.      !!
!!      stone@hydra.unm.edu         <>      Albuquerque, New Mexico     !!