[comp.lang.postscript] Delayed printing

schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) (03/13/90)

Is there a relatively simple procedure to permit sending a PS document to a PS
printer, but delaying the actual printing until another session?  What I'm
trying to accomplish is pre-load documents for printing, for a product concept
demo I'm working on, that will print very quickly (i.e., less than 10 seconds)
after selecting a print function from a SuperCard application on a Mac.

Any clues?

Steve

woody@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (03/14/90)

In article <10846@ttidca.TTI.COM>, schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) writes:
> Is there a relatively simple procedure to permit sending a PS document to a PS
> printer, but delaying the actual printing until another session?  What I'm
> trying to accomplish is pre-load documents for printing, for a product concept
> demo I'm working on, that will print very quickly (i.e., less than 10 seconds)
> after selecting a print function from a SuperCard application on a Mac.

If you consider the entire form (document) to be a standalone procedure and
define it as such, then you can send it to the printer.  It won't print
if the ENTIRE document including showpages etc is enclosed in the
body of the procedure name.  You can then invoke it by name and have it
execute.  The complexity of the document will still cause it to take
time, and the 10 second goal might or mightnot be realized.

Cheers
Woody