[comp.lang.postscript] Mac -> NeXT printer

tsui@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) (03/15/90)

Hello,

   I am planning to network several NeXTs and MacSE/30s and I am just
wondering if it is possible for the Mac to take advantage of the
400dpi resolution of the NeXT printer.  I already have a IINT hooked
up to the appletalk network for the printing and I use Laserwriter6.0.
What I am goign to do is install CAP on a NeXT and run NeXT as a printer
server.

Thanks.

--yufeng

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (03/15/90)

In article <38655@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> tsui@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Yufeng Tsui) writes:

>   I am planning to network several NeXTs and MacSE/30s and I am just
> wondering if it is possible for the Mac to take advantage of the
> 400dpi resolution of the NeXT printer.  I already have a IINT hooked
> up to the appletalk network for the printing and I use Laserwriter6.0.
> What I am goign to do is install CAP on a NeXT and run NeXT as a printer
> server.

I don't think there is an easy solution.  I would do the same thing the
non-Postscript Laserwriter driver does -- image the picture in memory then
transfer the bitmap to the Next printer.  You would have to find out if the
NEXT printer drive stuff compresses the data, and do the same compression
in the Mac driver.

Note: writing a print driver is a non-trivial task, and may well be completely
invalidated when system 7 comes out...
--

"It's all about Power, it's all about Control
 All the rest is lies for the credulous"

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (03/15/90)

In article <38655@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> tsui@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) writes:
>   I am planning to network several NeXTs and MacSE/30s and I am just
>wondering if it is possible for the Mac to take advantage of the
>400dpi resolution of the NeXT printer.  I already have a IINT hooked
>up to the appletalk network for the printing and I use Laserwriter6.0.
>What I am goign to do is install CAP on a NeXT and run NeXT as a printer
>server.

Yeah, 400 dpi is nice.

If it's PostScript that isn't Mac-specific (Laserwriter specific) and isn't
using fonts that the NeXT doesn't have (the NeXT comes with only the Times,
Helvetica, Courier, Ohlfs, and Symbol families), the NeXT should be able to
print it.  The NeXT speeks lpr, so if you can convert your apple-speak to
lpr -- CAP should be able to do it(?) -- you've got it made.

Remember that the NeXT cube does the PostScript interpretation and blasts a
bit stream to the NeXT laser printer, so the cube with the printer will take
a performance hit when imaging.  Your best bet is to use a cube with lot's
o' memory (16M), and one that is used as a server (no one logs into the
console).  In actuality, it is the WindowSever that does the PostScript for
both the Printer and the user at the console, so it is pretty much only the
user at the console that perceives poor performance while printing.

  Mark