[comp.lang.postscript] Big PostScript output

wessel@.hig.Hawaii.Edu (03/01/90)

as a plotting language to generate maps of various types.  Sometimes
one would like to plot a map that is many times larger than the page
size for most laserwriters (8.5 x 11 or 11 x 17).  Tiling is of
course an option, but I would like to know if some of you out there
knows about PostScript drivers for BIG plotters.  I've heard rumors
that Versatec is planning to come out with a driver for their new
8500 series of plotters (24 or 36 inch wide and 200 or 400 DPI).
A postscript-to-raster filter would be handy.  Does the ones that
are available (Goscript, forgot the other brand, NeWS) work on
large regions or are they limited to page size applications?
I realize that a 2' by 2' plot @ 300 DPI would require a 7200 by
7200 raster, for monochrome about 6.2 Mbytes.
Any comments would be appreciated.

cs480125@umbc5.umbc.edu (Peter Johansson) (03/18/90)

In article <6781@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> wessel@.hig.Hawaii.Edu (Paul Wessel) writes:
>as a plotting language to generate maps of various types.  Sometimes
>one would like to plot a map that is many times larger than the page
>size for most laserwriters (8.5 x 11 or 11 x 17).  Tiling is of
>course an option, but I would like to know if some of you out there
>knows about PostScript drivers for BIG plotters.

> [[[ stuff deleted ]]]

>Any comments would be appreciated.

Mail to your machine bounced, here is the text of my letter...

Have you considered sending your PS to a linotronic loaded with film?
You can then photomechanically enlarge the negative to any size
required.  Yes, there will be some loss of resolution, but 1270+ DPI
resolution can be enlarged quite a bit before encountering distortion
serious enough for *most* applications.

Peter Johansson
cs480125@umbc5.umbc.edu

kent@wsl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (03/20/90)

There's a company down the street that's just opened a little shop
featuring BIG PostScript output. They drive a 42" color Versatec plotter
at "up to 400 dpi". Seems they're a franchise operation, getting going
all over the country.
The company is called Colossal Graphics, and they're part of the
Repro/CAD network.

They don't list a franchise in Maryland, I'm afraid.

Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639