[comp.lang.postscript] landscape vs portrait - dumb application software

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (03/22/90)

APPLICATION:
	MicroSoft WORD 5.0a (others?)

WANT:	Landscape printout

SONG & DANCE ROUTINE:
	Microsoft tech support claims that because the Laserwriter will
	"automatically rotate text if the page size is defined as 11x8.5,
	instead of 8.5x11, therefore no landscape init file is required, and
	not supplied"

Of course when I tried it with 2 printers (one was ADOBE 47.0 (DataProducts
LZR1260), the other ADOBE 51.0 (QMS's PS2200)) it did not work.

Is the tech support person incorrect? ... was it by any chance an older LW that
did this, but now that is no longer true? ... any hints (=> firepower for next
call) would be apreciated ... thanks.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

ericbi@microsoft.UUCP (Eric BIDSTRUP) (03/24/90)

In article <3365@hcx1.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM>, leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com writes:
> SONG & DANCE ROUTINE:
> 	Microsoft tech support claims that because the Laserwriter will
> 	"automatically rotate text if the page size is defined as 11x8.5,
> 	instead of 8.5x11, therefore no landscape init file is required, and
> 	not supplied"
>
> Of course when I tried it with 2 printers (one was ADOBE 47.0 (DataProducts
> LZR1260), the other ADOBE 51.0 (QMS's PS2200)) it did not work

Have used Word 5 on a NEC LC890 & done this no problem, but you
do need the 5.0 POSTSCRP.PRD/INI vs same files from Word 4.
-Eric Bidstrup
.

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/27/90)

In article <53738@microsoft.UUCP> ericbi@microsoft.UUCP (Eric BIDSTRUP) writes:
>Have used Word 5 on a NEC LC890 & done this no problem, but you
>do need the 5.0 POSTSCRP.PRD/INI vs same files from Word 4.

Without those two files I would be unable to print anything in PS ..., so yes, I
do have/use them, but the problem is still there  :-(