[comp.lang.postscript] Mac PostScript through a multi-page filter

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (03/21/90)

I'm trying to run PostScript output, generated on a Macintosh
(MS-Word 4) through a multi-page PostScript filter (JGreely's
"up" package).
I transferred the PostScript output to my Unix box, added the
LaserPrep info, but it doesn't work. The first page (with two
small pages on it) comes out fine, and the remaining pages are
filled with something mirrored and enlarged.

Has anyone ever succeeded in doing such a thing? Any
pointers/suggestions are appreciated.

Please reply by EMail, I'll summarize (if I get something to
summarize).

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (03/27/90)

In article <4470@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (That's Me) wrote:

> I'm trying to run PostScript output, generated on a Macintosh
> (MS-Word 4) through a multi-page PostScript filter (JGreely's
> "up" package).
> I transferred the PostScript output to my Unix box, added the
> LaserPrep info, but it doesn't work. The first page (with two
> small pages on it) comes out fine, and the remaining pages are
> filled with something mirrored and enlarged.

Finally I've got it working, and I did it as follows:

Each page of postscript output in a Mac generated document is
contained between a 'op' and 'cp' pair of operators. The former starts
the page, the latter closes it, and prints it out.
The multi-page filter gets its job done, if it inserts the remapping
commands immediately after the 'op' operator.
Each non-printing 'cp' (mostly preceded by the parameters F and T)
should be replaced by "pm restore". E.g. to map two pages on one
physical page:

	%%Page: ? 1
	op
	<mapping instructions for left page>