[comp.lang.postscript] Control characters and such in PostScript

jazz@gug.UUCP (Jeff Roberts) (03/23/90)

I support a (third party) PostScript interpreter here, and don't have the kind
of time I need to stay as current as I'd like.  Lately, I've been getting a
lot of bug reports.  When I look at the files, I see ctrl-D's and ctrl-L's
throughout, which I've not seen until lately.  Also, the keywords "11x17"
and "11x17tray" occasionally pop up in statusdict definition. Can someone fill
me in on what may be happening here?

--
Jeff Roberts 	Intergraph Corporation
(UUCP) 		...uunet!ingr!b11!maven!jazz

batcheldern@hannah.enet.dec.com (Ned Batchelder) (03/27/90)

> I support a (third party) PostScript interpreter here, and don't have
the kind
> of time I need to stay as current as I'd like.  Lately, I've been getting a
> lot of bug reports.  When I look at the files, I see ctrl-D's and ctrl-L's
> throughout, which I've not seen until lately.  Also, the keywords "11x17"
> and "11x17tray" occasionally pop up in statusdict definition. Can
someone fill
> me in on what may be happening here?

Ctrl-L is a form feed, and is legitimate whitespace. Your interpreter
should accept it as such. Ctrl-D is often used by serially-connected
PostScript printers to indicate the end-of-file. It is not part of the
PostScript language, and has been used erroneously by the files you are
getting. Complain to whoever generated the files.

11x17 and 11x17tray are references to paper that is 11 inches by 17 inches.

Ned Batchelder, Digital Equipment Corp., BatchelderN@Hannah.enet.DEC.com

jazz@gug.UUCP (Jeff Roberts) (03/27/90)

In article <9613@shlump.nac.dec.com>, batcheldern@hannah.enet.dec.com (Ned Batchelder) writes:
> 11x17 and 11x17tray are references to paper that is 11 inches by 17 inches.

Yeah, I knew that, but why are they in my postscript? They aren't defined
as macros above, and I don't see them in the red book. Are they something new
or what?

--

rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/29/90)

In article <891@gug.UUCP>, jazz@gug.UUCP (Jeff Roberts) writes:
> In article <9613@shlump.nac.dec.com>, batcheldern@hannah.enet.dec.com (Ned Batchelder) writes:
>> 11x17 and 11x17tray are references to paper that is 11 inches by 17 inches.
>
> Yeah, I knew that, but why are they in my postscript? They aren't defined
> as macros above, and I don't see them in the red book. Are they something new
> or what?

Jeff,

The red book documents the standard PostScript language.  Specific implementations
will generally contain many other operators, dictionaries, etc. peculiar to
themselves, such as the serverdict, statusdict, $printerdict, etc. in a
LaserWriter.  Your 11x17tray is one of those -- it must exist on whatever
machine the output was intended for.

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Systems Engineer
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan.bitnet              AM Computer Products
CIS:	[72727,453]                             Southington, CT 06489

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (03/29/90)

In article <9613@shlump.nac.dec.com> batcheldern@hannah.enet.dec.com writes:
>> lot of bug reports.  When I look at the files, I see ctrl-D's and ctrl-L's
>> throughout, which I've not seen until lately.  Also, the keywords "11x17"
>> and "11x17tray" occasionally pop up in statusdict definition. Can
>someone fill
>> me in on what may be happening here?

Hmmm.  You may be dealing with output generated for a particular printer,
which is being sent to a printer of a different manufacture.  I don't
know how many printers have an 11 x 17 paper tray, and if they all use
the same operators to set it up.  I have run into exactly these names
in the DataProducts printer (model 2265?); there may be others.

--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035