[comp.lang.postscript] Advice on which postscript printers

pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) (04/08/90)

In article <ADMIN.90Apr3181534@expya.cs.exeter.ac.uk> admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Khalid Sattar) writes:
>We are about to purchase a postscript laser printer.  The one I have
>in mind is the LaserWriter II ntx.
>
>Can anyone suggest a better printer around the same price (3000
>pounds) or any other comments on the LaserWriter II nt or ntx.

Have you considered the Qume CrystalPrint Publisher? This is a FAST PostScript
printer using liquid crystal technology. For around 3000 pounds (can't remember
the exact price, I'm afraid), you get 3Mbyte RAM, 39 fonts and a RISC based
PostScript interpreter. The LC has the advantage of producing good even black.
It is worth looking at. The only drawback I've found with it is that any down-
loaded fonts need to be BitStream fonts, 'cos it can't use the Adobe font 1
format ('cos it isn't using Adobe PostScript), but there are plenty of BitStream
fonts, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Regards,

Philip Colmer
Acorn Computers Ltd