[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript->HPGL ?

gsds@tahoma.UUCP (K.C.Babb) (03/22/90)

Sorry if this is a rerun, but I don't read this group regularly
and didn't see this topic there today...

Is anyone aware of an available utility which can convert
PostScript (or EPS) to HPGL?  If so, please email any info
(and I'll post a summary of useful responses if there are
any) if you can, post it if you can't.

I'm also interested in converting Apollo GMR2D to HPGL.

Thanks bundles in advance.

KCB

--
(standard--or otherwise--disclaimer not worth the bother)
Singh/Masden/Babb/Chen           Voice: (206) 237-2564

freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) (03/27/90)

in article <1008@tahoma.UUCP>, gsds@tahoma.UUCP (K.C.Babb) says:

> Sorry if this is a rerun, but I don't read this group regularly
> and didn't see this topic there today...
>
> Is anyone aware of an available utility which can convert
> PostScript (or EPS) to HPGL?  If so, please email any info
> (and I'll post a summary of useful responses if there are
> any) if you can, post it if you can't.

I have asked for this myself on several occasions and I see the
request arise every month or so.

It would be nice to hear from someone smarter than I (and the other
requestors) whether the lack of a response indicates that such
a translation is not possible.
If there is someone out there knowledgable enough to say yes or no to
the possibility of such a conversion, would you please post your
opinion. I think it would be appreciated by many.

Thanks,
Fred

--
Fred Sieg 	uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!legs!freds
AST Research Inc.  Fax: (714) 727-9358 Tel: (714) 727-8465

elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) (03/28/90)

In article <2632@legs.UUCP>, freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:
< in article <1008@tahoma.UUCP>, gsds@tahoma.UUCP (K.C.Babb) says:
< <
< < Is anyone aware of an available utility which can convert
< < PostScript (or EPS) to HPGL?
[...]
< If there is someone out there knowledgable enough to say yes or no to
< the possibility of such a conversion, would you please post your
< opinion. I think it would be appreciated by many.

To convert PostScript to any other image description language you need
a complete PostScript interpreter.  I suppose there are PostScript
scanners/parsers already written or you could take a public-domain
PostScript previewer and modify it.  It is non-trivial, unlike its
inverse, the conversion of HPGL to PostScript.  PostScript is a
full-blown programming language, while HPGL is essentially a series
of pen-movement commands.

George Elkins

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (03/29/90)

In article <Mar.28.09.59.41.1990.16759@topaz.rutgers.edu> elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) writes:
>In article <2632@legs.UUCP>, freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:
>< in article <1008@tahoma.UUCP>, gsds@tahoma.UUCP (K.C.Babb) says:
>< < Is anyone aware of an available utility which can convert
>< < PostScript (or EPS) to HPGL?
>[...]
>< If there is someone out there knowledgable enough to say yes or no to
>< the possibility of such a conversion, would you please post your
>< opinion. I think it would be appreciated by many.
>
>To convert PostScript to any other image description language you need
>a complete PostScript interpreter.  I suppose there are PostScript
>scanners/parsers already written or you could take a public-domain
>PostScript previewer and modify it.  It is non-trivial, unlike its
>inverse, the conversion of HPGL to PostScript.  PostScript is a
>full-blown programming language, while HPGL is essentially a series
>of pen-movement commands.

Also keep in mind that HP-GL is a vector-oriented language with text and
polygon capability, but no raster.  (HP-GL/2 adds some raster
capability.)

SOME PostScript files can be converted to HP-GL, and some cannot.  If
you are looking at a picture that looks like it could be done on a
plotter (i.e., no bitmaps, no grey scales, simple fonts), a conversion
is feasible.  You'd be much better off trying to convert PostScript to
PCL5 (which includes HP-GL/2) for a LaserJet III.  There's a much better
match of capabilities there.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

jay@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jay Windley) (03/30/90)

I seem to recall reading that someone had figured out how to put
executable code in HP font cartridges, and that for a measly $600
you could have their PostScript interpreter.  BYTE reported that
it works very well, but very slow, and I have heard rumors that
due to heavy piggy-backing of chips it overheats.
--
"Oops." --my dentist, while removing my wisdom teeth
Jay Windley  -  Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences  -  Kansas State Univ.

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (04/09/90)

In article <28646@cup.portal.com>, Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>    Our small town only has one store with computer books (one or two shelves
> with books on languages).  References generally have to be ordered based on
> curt publishers' descriptions, which is hit and miss at best.
>    I am looking for further references on PostScript, particularly source
> examples for layout effects.  I have the blue and red Adobe books.  Any
> recommendations?                               J. Petersen

Real World Postscript (the orange book) has a lot of useful stuff in it.
I would recommend getting it.  It covers fonts, page layouts, development
of graphics designs.  It contains articles by several good programmers.
Stephen F. Roth is the editor, Addison Welsey is the publisher, the
ISBN is 0-201-06663-7.  It also covers color.

Also get the Green book.  It is a good book on programming philosophy.

Cheers
Woody

vgopal@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) writes:

>In article <2632@legs.UUCP> freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:
>!> Is anyone aware of an available utility which can convert
>!> PostScript (or EPS) to HPGL?  If so, please email any info
>!
>!I have asked for this myself on several occasions and I see the
>!request arise every month or so.
>!

>Yes - such a thing would be practically impossible.  Postscript can
>(just as one example) scale, rotate, translate bit mapped images, and
>fonts.  It is far far more powerful than HPGL.

You don't need to have HPGL do all that, you could do all that in postscript
then translate the finished product into HPGL.

I will have to check my ventura publisher program, It can read in all sorts
of files, postscript, AutoCAD, HPGL and it supports many different printers.
I know it supports postscript output, and if it supports HPGL plotters then
I would say that it would handle the translation. Just load in a postscript
drawing and print it out to a file in HPGL.

BTW while on the subject of postscript conversions, does anyone know of a
way to convert postscript into a format that can be used in a CAD program?
such as DXF, autoCAD files, etc? They are all vector formats.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK