[comp.lang.postscript] Mac/DOS conversion

anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/12/90)

     I have a question, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for it, but
here goes... I have a whole slew of Mac postscript printer fonts that I need
converted to be used on an IBM. We are set up so that we have two Macs and two
IBMs linked together through Appletalk. The Macs are the only ones that are able
to download the fonts, which ties them up (more of an inconvience than time
consuming). What I would like is to convert the files into DOS so that we can
download from the IBMs as well. We have a Mac/DOS file converter but it keeps
telling me that the 'data fork is empty' when I try to convert them. We also
have another IBM hooked to a laser printer in another part of the office that
we would like to use them on as well.
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Andrew Hunt (anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/13/90)

In article <71400002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>      I have a question, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for it, but
> here goes... I have a whole slew of Mac postscript printer fonts that I need
> converted to be used on an IBM. We are set up so that we have two Macs and two
> IBMs linked together through Appletalk. The Macs are the only ones that are able
> to download the fonts, which ties them up (more of an inconvience than time
> consuming). What I would like is to convert the files into DOS so that we can
> download from the IBMs as well. We have a Mac/DOS file converter but it keeps
> telling me that the 'data fork is empty' when I try to convert them. We also
> have another IBM hooked to a laser printer in another part of the office that
> we would like to use them on as well.
> Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Andrew,

The font information is stored in a series of resources; this is why your file
transfer didn't do it for you.  Furthermore, the hex portion of the font file
(most of it) is encoded in binary to save space, and expanded on the fly by
the driver.  I think the simplest thing for you to do is this: on the Mac,
print a document which will require downloading a font, and print it to disk.
In the PostScript file, you'll find the whole font extracted, expanded and
ready to go.

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Systems Engineer
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan.bitnet              AM Computer Products
CIS:	[72727,453]                             Southington, CT 06489

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (04/14/90)

In article <71400002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>      I have a question, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for it, but
> here goes... I have a whole slew of Mac postscript printer fonts that I need
> converted to be used on an IBM. We are set up so that we have two Macs and two
> IBMs linked together through Appletalk. The Macs are the only ones that are able
> to download the fonts, which ties them up (more of an inconvience than time
> consuming). What I would like is to convert the files into DOS so that we can
> download from the IBMs as well. We have a Mac/DOS file converter but it keeps
> telling me that the 'data fork is empty' when I try to convert them. We also
> have another IBM hooked to a laser printer in another part of the office that
> we would like to use them on as well.

On the file server, (mail ps-fileserver@adobe.com), is a file describing
the formats of both the MAC and PC fonts.  Basicaly, you will have to write
a simple conversion program to do the work.  If I had a couple of mac's
and an IBM pc, what I would do, is to connect one of the macs to the PC, using
a serial cable.  Then I'd run procomm and use the ASCII protocol, and send the
file (font) from the mac down the serial link.  I'm sure it can do that.
You will have the font that the PRINTER sees at that point.  (The mac will
have hexified and converted what ever it needs to convert to a ASCII
stream for the laser printer.  NOTE:  You are SOL as far as the screen
font's.  I don't know of a program that takes MAC screen fonts and converts
them over to Windows fonts.  I'd give my eye teeth for one, as well as one
that would take HPLJ fonts and create Windows screen fonts.....

Cheers
Woody