[comp.lang.postscript] PS -> DVI ??

accwai@maytag.waterloo.edu (Andy Wai) (05/02/90)

In article <1990May1.232925.3467@watdragon.waterloo.edu> lqiao@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Lee Qiao) writes:
>In article <1990Apr30.175738.1935@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>>If there is a version of NeWS on the Sun you have, you can preview postscript
>>using a program called psview.  If not, you are pretty much out of luck.
>>(as far as I know, and I have tried to do this before - it's the fonts
>> that are the problem)
>
>Does anyone know where I can find the program "psview"?

As mentioned in the original article, you can only use "psview" with
NeWS.  In fact, it comes with NeWS.  (I think the Postscript viewer
under Openlook is called something else, can't remember what though)

I don't have much experience with early versions of Sun psview, but I
have played with with the Openlook version and the version on Silicon
Graphics running Irix.  They are shitty to put it mildly.  The Sun
version can only handle 80% of the files I gave it.  The SGI version
handles about 50% and some files may hang the console completely.

There are also xps and ghostscript, but again, neither can be considered
usable either.  To sum it up, there is currently no easy way to preview
a Postscript file short of printing it.  However, there are ways to print
several pages on a single sheet of paper.

Andy