[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript pre-viewer using VT100 terminal?

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (05/02/90)

In article <204@keele.keele.ac.uk> yufan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Yufan Hu) writes:
>Could anyone please tell me how to pre-view a PostScript file
>on a VT100 terminal before it is printed?
>--
>JANET : yufan@uk.ac.keele.cs      ||  Yufan Hu,
>BITNET: yufan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl  ||  Department of Computer Science,
>other : yufan@cs.keele.ac.uk      ||  University of Keele, Keele,
>UUCP  : ...!ukc!kl-cs!yufan       ||  Staffordshire.  ST5 5BG.  U.K.

I think Lanpar would be VERY interested in knowing it too if it can ever
be done: to view high-res graphics on an ASCII terminal.

IMHO, I don't think this can ever be done, if I understood correctly that
you wanted to "preview" a PostScript in its final output form, not just
to "view" the PostScript code, on an ASCII terminal. I hope I am wrong
and such beast did exist. It will make everyone life easier.

Andy

andrew@ist.CO.UK (Andrew Grant) (05/03/90)

From article <204@keele.keele.ac.uk>, by yufan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Yufan Hu):
> Could anyone please tell me how to pre-view a PostScript file
> on a VT100 terminal before it is printed?
> --
Do you mean a VT1000 terminal? If you really do want to preview a Postscript
file on a VT100 then unfortunately you will be disappointed. The VT100 is a
textmode only terminal, so displaying graphics will be impossible. There are
some VT100 compatible terminals with a graphics mode though. If you have one
of these you could use a postscript interpreter running on your host to
dump it's framebuffer to a file. Then all you need is a utility to display the
bitmap on your terminal.

If you have a VT1000 then you can use an X-Windows based previewer. I belive
DEC either is or will be marketing one.

moconnor@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael O'Connor) (05/04/90)

In article <2781@istop.ist.CO.UK> andrew@ist.CO.UK (Andrew Grant) writes:

>If you have a VT1000 then you can use an X-Windows based previewer. I belive
>DEC either is or will be marketing one.

The X-based previewer exists.  I have seen it on Ultrix as dxpsview
and a VMS version should be in the works when v5.4 comes out.

...Mike (moconnor@argo.acs.oakland.edu)