[comp.lang.postscript] Odd/even page printing for double sided output?

ieegts@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Short) (05/03/90)

Does anyone know of any tools which will take a conforming postscript file
and output another postscript file with all of the odd pages output and
then the even pages printed backward.  This is to get double sided printouts.
Any tools or ideas or different ways of doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Tom A. Short                      Internet: ieegts@caesar.cs.montana.edu
P.O. Box 5286                     BITNET:   ieegts@MTSUNIX1
Bozeman, MT 59715  USA
406-585-9709 (home) or 406-994-5991 (office)

ee86ccb@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK (BAILIFF Cris) (05/04/90)

A trick I learnt about a while ago may be useful - I'll try
and describe it here, but I may not completely succeed - you need to
try it it see it work...

First - print out a copy of all your pages 1,2,3..n
Second - re-arrange the pages in order 2,1, 4,3, 6,5, 8,7, ..  n,n-1
		(i.e. swap each pair of pages round )
Finally - place the pages bak in the printer face down, and print
pages 1..n again on the blank sides.

You now have 2 double sided copies of your original document!

Hope this is of some use, as it certainly avoids a lot of programming,
but unfortunately can be a pain for large documents - arrange yourself
at a large clear desk and work from a source to destination pile - and
try not to get distracted by people asking what the heck you are
doing!

:-) Cris

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May4.141617.22765@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK>, ee86ccb@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK (BAILIFF Cris) writes:
> A trick I learnt about a while ago may be useful - I'll try
> and describe it here, but I may not completely succeed - you need to
> try it it see it work...

Nifty trick...

Here is a small basic program that I wrote to help me layout pages

50 INPUT"Enter the number of printed pages";N
60 EX=(((N/4)-(INT(N/4)))*4)
70 EX=4-EX:IF EX=4 THEN EX=0
80 NP=N+EX
100 NS=NP/4
105 CLS:PRINT:PRINT
120 PRINT"You will need ";NS;" sheets of paper and you will have ";EX;" blank page";:IF EX<> 1 THEN ES$="s " ELSE ES$="  "
121 PRINT ES$;"at the end"
150 O=NP:N=-1:M=NP+2:P=NP+1
200 PRINT :PRINT"The pages will have to be layed out as follows."
210 PRINT :PRINT" Bottom face down              Top face up"
220 T1=NP/2
230 FOR I= 1 TO NS
235 N=N+2:O=N+1:M=M-2:P=P-2
240 PRINT N,M,O,P