[net.micro] rbbs-pc and file transfers using xtalk

jdf@ptsfd.UUCP (Jack Fine) (07/02/86)

I am hoping someone in netland can help me with a problem that I am sure must
be very easy to fix but I can't seem to see the answer.  I am setting up a
bulletin board and am currently testing it out.  I am trying to set up the
rbbs-pc version cpc12.1.  Everything was looking real good until I tried to
upload to it using as my remote xtalk 3.6 (this is between two ibm-pc's).
When using xmodem I got messages on the sysops that said 'short block' and
'timeout'.  On the remote or upload end I got errors and xtalk immediately
showed anywhere from a few percent complete to 100 percent complete.  I tried
playing with the switch settings on remote modem and that didn't seem to help.
The xtalk doc. said if you are having trouble try setting pmode to something
other than it is (which is only 1 or 2 and that is cp/m or dos which doesn't
really make sense since you would set it to whatever your system is.)  I
have tried several other settings within xtalk but still no luck i.e. block
size.

I should mention that I haven't been able to even upload ascii files using
the standard send from xtalk.  Yet the receiving or downloading is no
problem.  That seems to work fine.

Has anyone had this trouble and figured out the reason?  Or for that matter
is there anyone that can see what I can't - some obvious thing I haven't tried?

Thanks for the help.

Jack

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/03/86)

In article <408@ptsfd.UUCP> jdf@ptsfd.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:
>I am hoping someone in netland can help me with a problem that I am sure must
>be very easy to fix but I can't seem to see the answer.  I am setting up a
>bulletin board and am currently testing it out.  I am trying to set up the
>rbbs-pc version cpc12.1.  ........

Before we go any further, you should be using RBBS version CPC14.1B.  It
requires the Microsoft QuickBASIC or IBM BASIC Compiler (2.01), but it is
light years ahead of CPC12.1.

It is available from the board that I run @ (608) 273-5037.  It is up 6pm
to 8am M-F and all day on weekends/holidays/vacations (CT).  It is an open
board so you can start downloading right away.  300/1200/2400 baud supported.

I'm surprised you even found a copy of CPC12.1.  No one uses that anymore.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \