[comp.lang.postscript] GoFonts on PostScript printer

bower@hfsi.UUCP (Michael Bower Comm. ) (05/08/90)

I have been playing a lot recently with GoScript fonts that they
have been sending to me. (LaserGo).  Does anybody know if there is any
way of loading the GoScript additional fonts (aka GoFonts) into
a standard PostScript printer.  They come on the disk as both .GSF
and .AFM files.  Plus there is a utility the converts the .AFM files
to .PFM files (whatever they are).  Anybody have any comments?

Michael Bower - N4NMR                     Honeywell Federal Systems Inc.
uunet!hfsi!bower                          7900 Westpark Dr. - MS 1007
703-827-3559 (o) 703-435-5081 (h)         McLean, VA 22102

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (05/09/90)

In article <371@hfsi.UUCP>, bower@hfsi.UUCP (Michael Bower Comm. ) writes:
> I have been playing a lot recently with GoScript fonts that they
> a standard PostScript printer.  They come on the disk as both .GSF
> and .AFM files.  Plus there is a utility the converts the .AFM files
> to .PFM files (whatever they are).  Anybody have any comments?

PFM files are peculiar to windows.  They are the mechanism that windows
uses to compute character widths.  AS for whether the fonts will work
with Postscript, I don't know.  You need to try it.  If you don't have a
way to get access to a postscript (Adobe) printer directly, you might try
a service place that prints laser printer pages.  send the font to the
printer, and then send a short routine that selects the font and prints
something.

Cheers
Woody