[comp.lang.postscript] gif2ps: Where Can I get a Copy?

PCLaser <LASER@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (05/10/90)

I have access to a QMS ColorScript 100 for a couple days but do not have
many colour PostScript sample files.  A colleague has several gif format
files and he thinks there is a p.d. "gif2ps" translator out there somewhere.
Can someone tell me how to retrieve this program?  Time is a factor since
QMS expects the printer back after our Open House is finished.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Smith
Queen's University

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (05/10/90)

In article <90129.224403LASER@QUCDN.BITNET> PCLaser <LASER@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> writes:
>I have access to a QMS ColorScript 100 for a couple days but do not have
>many colour PostScript sample files.  A colleague has several gif format
>files and he thinks there is a p.d. "gif2ps" translator out there somewhere.

There is one called gif2ps, which you can get it from

surya.waterloo.edu         129.97.129.72	graphics/gif2ps.shar

But I don't think it produces color PostScript codes. I used it myself before.

>Can someone tell me how to retrieve this program?  Time is a factor since
>QMS expects the printer back after our Open House is finished.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Mike Smith
>Queen's University

I know of a package (and you will probably received tons of replies on
this package, above all, it IS good) called pbmplus which are some twenty
to thirty filters to let you convert bitmaps from one format to another.
I am sure it can produce color PostScript for your printer. The following
two sites should have it:

expo.lcs.mit.edu           18.30.0.212		contrib/pbmplus.tar.Z
ftp.ee.lbl.gov		   128.3.254.68		pbmplus.tar.Z

I tested it on the QMS ColorScript 100 (we bought it) so I am sure it
will work. To save you from reading manuals, after you have compiled
everything, type

gifttoppm < gif_file_name | ppmtops | lpr -Pprinter_name

will convert a GIF file called gif_file_name to color PostScript and
send it to a printer called printer_name, which will be your QMS.

I hope this helps.

Andy