[comp.lang.postscript] PS -> TIFF question

Is there a reasonably priced (<$1K) generic postscript to TIFF and/or
HP laserjet program?  I'm looking for something to handle postscript
to fax and possibly backup printer support for a '386 unix machine.
Running a DOS program under VP/ix would be a possibility as long as
the program works with files and command line arguments (and doesn't
need a 286).  Speed really isn't an issue.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (05/09/90)

In article <1990May8.163859.9415@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>Is there a reasonably priced (<$1K) generic postscript to TIFF and/or
>HP laserjet program?  I'm looking for something to handle postscript
>to fax and possibly backup printer support for a '386 unix machine.
>Running a DOS program under VP/ix would be a possibility as long as
>the program works with files and command line arguments (and doesn't
>need a 286).  Speed really isn't an issue.

  I can't speak for the other PS-interpreters, but UltraScript (QMS)
  offers a PS->[TIF|PCX] mode (that works quite well, except for...).
  You can get UltraScript for about $130 mail-order for PCs.

  The BIG complaint I have with this mode is that you get a FULL PAGE
  tif/pcx image, even if you only have a small image.  The resulting
  file is typically over 1 megabyte, which means most of the more
  common "paint" programs will puke directly (not enough memory)
  or will only be able to load in a fraction of the tif [PS] "page".
  (changing the UttraScript output size [letter vs. A4, etc.] doesn't
  effect the resulting tif/pcx output size, either).

  PS: if anyone has a solution to this problem (I've noticed the
      same problem with "Arts & Letters" vector -> tif conversions),
      I would like to know about it.

john@design.axis.fr (John H) (05/23/90)

In article <1990May8.163859.9415@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Is there a reasonably priced (<$1K) generic postscript to TIFF and/or
> HP laserjet program?  I'm looking for something to handle postscript
> to fax and possibly backup printer support for a '386 unix machine.
> Running a DOS program under VP/ix would be a possibility as long as
> the program works with files and command line arguments (and doesn't
> need a 286).  Speed really isn't an issue.
>
> Les Mikesell
>   les@chinet.chi.il.us

Well, I'm using "GoScript PLUS" from LaserGo (9369 Carrol Park Drive,
Suite A, San Diego, CA 92121, Tel: (619) 450 4600, Fax: (619) 450 9334) and
it works real good, appart from a pretty stupid implementation of save/restore
(which saves the VM in a DISK FILE for fucks' sake!).

It has drivers to produce output for most dot-matrix & laser printers and
TIFF and PCX formats.

It's written for DOS, so you'd need vp/ix.

It costs a $200-400 (I've lost the bill) and has all 35 LaserWriter II fonts.

John Hughes.