[comp.lang.postscript] cassette label program wanted

hansont@druco.ATT.COM (HansonTC) (04/28/90)

Someone mentioned that a postscript program for
printing cassette labels (audio) existed.

Any pointers to this program would be appreciated.

thanks alot,
-tom hanson
hansont@druco.att.com

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (05/08/90)

In article <4808@druco.ATT.COM> hansont@druco.ATT.COM (HansonTC) writes:
> Someone mentioned that a postscript program for
> printing cassette labels (audio) existed.
>
> Any pointers to this program would be appreciated.

I've written one with lots of bells and whistles, including automatic font
scaling and a simple mechanism for including arbitrary graphics on the spine of
the label.  I've sent it to Dan Judd to add to his archive on nic.stolaf.edu,
but it doesn't seem to have made it in yet.  So if anyone wants a copy, send me
mail.  I'd just post it but it's about 30k (though if I get too many responses,
I'll post it anyway...)

		-- Jamie <jwz@teak.Berkeley.EDU>

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Oreo Cat) (05/08/90)

In article <4808@druco.ATT.COM> hansont@druco.ATT.COM (HansonTC) writes:
>Someone mentioned that a postscript program for
>printing cassette labels (audio) existed.
>
>Any pointers to this program would be appreciated.

This reminds me of a little project that I started a while ago.  I buy a
lot of CD singles which often come in weird cases which are difficult to
store, and I wanted to put them into regular CD Jewel Boxes.  So I printed
up some "labels" to go inside the case so that they would be easy to
identify from the side, and had the track listing on the back.  I wrote
the code by hand for each individual CD, but I think it would be easy
enough to turn it into a generic CD label program.  I was also thinking
of some way to include images on the label.  If there is enough demand
(i.e. If you are interested, send me mail), I would be willing to finish
things off.  If you really want to make get me going on the project, send
me some graphics for some of my CD-singles (Depeche Mode, Eraasure, New
Order, Heaven 17, Pet Shop Boys, OMD, Akira, Akina Nakamori, Time Zone).
I would be interested in GIFs, or anything the PBM package can handle.
(Sunrasters, X-bitmaps, TIFFs, PCX, MacPaint, etc.)

I'd also be interested in getting the cassette label program mentioned
above.

Jim Lick                  | Internet: jim@piggy.ucsb.edu
775 Camino Del Sur #A11   | UUCP: ...uunet!piggy.ucsb.edu!jim
Isla Vista, CA 93117-4410 |
(805) 968-0189 (eve)      | Because when you learn,
(805) 961-4113 (day)      | You'll know what makes the world turn.

danjudd@stolaf..stolaf.edu (Dan Judd) (05/09/90)

In article <24812@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>In article <4808@druco.ATT.COM> hansont@druco.ATT.COM (HansonTC) writes:
>> Someone mentioned that a postscript program for
>> printing cassette labels (audio) existed.
>>
>> Any pointers to this program would be appreciated.
>
>I've sent it to Dan Judd to add to his archive on nic.stolaf.edu,

I have added the cassette tape labeling program to the archives on
nic.stolaf.edu. It is in pub/ps/misc/tapelabel.ps

It is pretty neat, and fairly simple to use even if you are not
a postscript hacker.

Dan Judd  -- a Postscript kinda guy
danjudd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu

brennan@rtp.dg.com (Dave Brennan) (05/27/90)

In article <5153@hub.ucsb.edu> jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Oreo Cat) writes:

   I'd also be interested in getting the cassette label program mentioned
   above.

It's not exactly PostScript, but a guy I work with has written up some TeX
code that generates super looking cassette lables.  If people are
interested I can post it or mail it out.

                                          |\
Dave Brennan                              | \____oo_     brennan@rtp.dg.com
User Interfaces, Data General                | //        daveb@rpitsmts.bitnet
Research Triangle Park, NC                   |//         Phone: (919) 248-6330