[comp.lang.postscript] Possible bug in PS ver 47.0

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (05/25/90)

Hi folks,

     I have run across a sequence that seems to cause my
PostScript printer to become totally hosed, and I am curious to
know why.  I have a Dataproducts LZR 1260 running PS version
47.0.  When I send this little program, it feeds the paper part
way and then just sits there spinning its wheels indefinitely.

	90 rotate
	72 -72 translate
	4.5 -710 scale
	/Courier findfont 1.65 -1 matrix scale makefont setfont
	1 1 moveto (j) show
	showpage

This is a stripped-down version of a much larger program, and the
bug is in the "scale" line -- I originally had an extra "inch"
operator, and it led to an operand of scale being much too high.
Of course, this program is not at all useful, but it still
strikes me as a bug that the engine goes out to lunch like this.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (05/26/90)

In article <425@mtndew.UUCP>, friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> 47.0.  When I send this little program, it feeds the paper part
> way and then just sits there spinning its wheels indefinitely.
>
> strikes me as a bug that the engine goes out to lunch like this.

I have a routine from Don Lancaster, that does a Gray Grid over a sheet
of paper.  I've noticed that this routine, will partialy feed a page, then
turn the paper output feed rollers on, and sit there spinning for close to
a minute, before going ahead and feeding the paper, with the printed
image.  I am not sure why it does it.
There is nothing oddball in the code.  It seems really straight forward
stuff.

I will test your routine on my QMS -PS-810 and report back...

Cheers
Woody

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (05/28/90)

In article <1268@chinacat.Unicom.COM>, woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
> In article <425@mtndew.UUCP>, friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > 47.0.  When I send this little program, it feeds the paper part
> > way and then just sits there spinning its wheels indefinitely.
> >
> > strikes me as a bug that the engine goes out to lunch like this.
>
> I will test your routine on my QMS -PS-810 and report back...

Well, I tested it.  what happened was a single black line at the bottom
of the page, the printer set and blinked for a while, then internaly
reset it's self and kicked out a start-up sheet.  Your little bit
of code, is wild to say the least.  My guess is that somehow you caused
the printer to exceed some internal limit, or some such.

Cheers
Woody