[comp.lang.postscript] 8"x14" paper on LW IINT

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (06/04/90)

I've read the LaserWriter IINT manual, but I am not convinced yet. I
tried to use 8"x14" paper on a LaserWriter IINT but the printer stopped
at the A4 position and the paper jammed in it. The manual for the
LaserWriter showed that the device driver for a Macintosh only supports
A4, B5, letter and legal size papers. Is there any way at all that I can
print on 8"x14" paper? Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.utoronto.BITNET

In article <90Jun4.022140edt.18491@me.utoronto.ca> sun@hammer.me.UUCP (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
>I've read the LaserWriter IINT manual, but I am not convinced yet. I
>tried to use 8"x14" paper on a LaserWriter IINT but the printer stopped
>at the A4 position and the paper jammed in it. ...

This is what happens if you load long paper but don't tell the printer
about it.  It notices that the paper feed has been moving long enough
to get a regular-sized sheet of paper out, but the trailing edge hasn't
appeared yet, and concludes that it must be jammed.

>... the device driver for a Macintosh only supports
>A4, B5, letter and legal size papers. Is there any way at all that I can
>print on 8"x14" paper? ...

Legal is 8.5x14, and a slight difference in width (if your paper really
is only 8 wide) should not be significant in the right orientation.  The
most likely cause of problems is simply that you haven't sent the printer
the command "legal" or equivalent.
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/05/90)

In article <90Jun4.022140edt.18491@me.utoronto.ca>, sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
> I've read the LaserWriter IINT manual, but I am not convinced yet. I
> tried to use 8"x14" paper on a LaserWriter IINT but the printer stopped

Do you have a legal cassette?  Series II (and even the older CX lasers)
can sense which tray you have installed.  They image accordingly.  I have
run accross this with the PS-810.  I have both a legal and a letter tray.
If I try to select legal, with the letter tray in place it fails.
Try switching paper trays.
Cheers
Woody

cohen@ecse.rpi.edu (Robert Cohen) (06/06/90)

In article <90Jun4.022140edt.18491@me.utoronto.ca> sun@hammer.me.UUCP (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
>I've read the LaserWriter IINT manual, but I am not convinced yet. I
>tried to use 8"x14" paper on a LaserWriter IINT but the printer stopped
>at the A4 position and the paper jammed in it. The manual for the
> (rest deleted)

I've been able to manually feed legal-sized paper using
the following code:

      %!
      statusdict/manualfeed true put
      legal
       .
       .
      (your code goes here)
       .
       .

This way, you can manually feed legal-size paper in a letter tray.
Good Luck!    --Bob