[comp.lang.postscript] Password on PS-laserprinter ??

LK-AP@finou.oulu.fi (05/29/90)

I'd like to know about password function on PS-laserprinters.
My experience is that something or somebody locked up our Apple
Laser Plus. Now the laser is useless without right password.

I heard that only way to get out is hard. It means that we have
to chance some (pretty expensive) EPROMS or something like that.

I think that it is not the best way, because maybe we well face the
same problem tomorrow. So my question is:

1. How you can set the password? (It is not secret citadel information

anymore, we have noticed it. Or should I say it is non documented feature.)

2. How you chance or reset the password? (Disable the whole feature?)

3. Is this weard feature in every PS-laser or is it model dependet?

Info, comments and HELP are wellcome.

     Mr. Antti Peltonen
     University of Oulu/
     Comp. Services Centre
     Finland

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (05/31/90)

In article <90149.162400LK-AP@finou.oulu.fi>, LK-AP@finou.oulu.fi writes:

> I'd like to know about password function on PS-laserprinters.
> My experience is that something or somebody locked up our Apple
> Laser Plus. Now the laser is useless without right password.
> 2. How you chance or reset the password? (Disable the whole feature?)

There is a little routine that does it. I have it, but have not
posted it over the net, due to the fact that you can rather badly
mess up a printer with it.  Not only will it change passwords, but
it will do several other interesting routines.  I make it available
under the following:

Foriegn users:

Email me a message from root. (Yes I know it is easy to fugga-boo)
Local (US) people:

send me an official request on department, institutional, or
company letterhead, signed by an administrative person with
responsiblilty.  In addition email me a request.  I have adopted this
procedure, to try to limit liablilty if someone should mis-use the
routine.  Fortunatly, you can undo anything that has been done, but
I'd rather not be responsible for some malicious person using it.
I won't accept laser printed stationary (mmmm   to easy to fake.... 8->>)
Woody Baker
Rt.1 Box I
Manor, Tx. 78653

Cheers
Woody

mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) (06/07/90)

Get a load of this.  A guy from Finland asks if there's any way to
change the password in his PostScript printer, and he gets this helpful
reply from someone with a rather inflated sense of self-importance:

>There is a little routine that does it. I have it, but have not
>posted it over the net, due to the fact that you can rather badly
>mess up a printer with it.  Not only will it change passwords, but
>it will do several other interesting routines.  I make it available
>under the following:
>
>Foriegn users:
>
>Email me a message from root. (Yes I know it is easy to fugga-boo)
>Local (US) people:
>
>send me an official request on department, institutional, or
>company letterhead, signed by an administrative person with
>responsiblilty.  In addition email me a request.  I have adopted this
>procedure, to try to limit liablilty if someone should mis-use the
>routine.  Fortunatly, you can undo anything that has been done, but
>I'd rather not be responsible for some malicious person using it.
>I won't accept laser printed stationary (mmmm   to easy to fake.... 8->>)
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Holy Cow!  Are you going to analyze my handwriting too?

>Woody Baker
>Rt.1 Box I
>Manor, Tx. 78653

Who the hell are you, the printer police?  Maybe I should send a
notarized letter signed by George Bush.  Jeez, buddy, get a life.

Mark Turner
mark@hpdtc.hp.com

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/10/90)

In article <9590001@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) writes:
> >responsiblilty.  In addition email me a request.  I have adopted this
> >procedure, to try to limit liablilty if someone should mis-use the
> >routine.  Fortunatly, you can undo anything that has been done, but
> >I'd rather not be responsible for some malicious person using it.
> >I won't accept laser printed stationary (mmmm   to easy to fake.... 8->>)
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Holy Cow!  Are you going to analyze my handwriting too?
>
> >Woody Baker
> >Rt.1 Box I
> >Manor, Tx. 78653
>
> Who the hell are you, the printer police?  Maybe I should send a
> notarized letter signed by George Bush.  Jeez, buddy, get a life.

Not really.  But since you asked...  The routine can be used to royally
screw the printer up.  In the wrong persons hands, it could cause absolute
havoc on a network.  (how would you like to have the password change randomly
on you ever few minutes?).  Not only can the routine set and reset the password
it can also mess up the hardware registration information and quite a few
other critical bits and bytes.  I merely wish to protect my self from the
consequences if someone misues it and then points to me as the person that
he got it from.  Perhaps you'd like to take on the risk?

Obviously you can't read because all of this was in the original reply.

Cheers
Woody