[comp.lang.postscript] Imageable area change ?

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (06/07/90)

We have in our department two Apple LaserWriter Plus's and one Apple
LaserWriter IINT. The problem is that these beasts have different ideas about
the imageable areas. We are using A4 sized paper exclusively, but on the
other paper sizes there should be the same problem. I designed out
letterhead to fit exactly in the imageable area on the NT, but when I print
the same thing on the old LaserWriter, the last line disappears. The
imageable areas have different heights as can be seen form the PPD files:

APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea Letter: "18 8 593 784 "
APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea Legal: "65 42 547 966 "
APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea Note: "30 31 582 761 "
APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea A4: "18 23 577 819 "
APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea B5: "3 4 497 705 "
APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea LetterSmall: "30 31 582 761 "
APPLE422.PPD:*ImageableArea A4Small: "29 31 566 811 "

LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea Letter: "15 8 597 784 "
LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea Legal: "15 8 597 1000 "
LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea Note: "31 31 583 761 "
LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea A4: "13 10 577 832 "
LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea B5: "21 10 500 715 "
LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea LetterSmall: "31 31 583 761 "
LWNT_470.PPD:*ImageableArea A4Small: "27 31 567 811 "

Apart from the positioning (which may have to do with the transport
mechanism, the height of the imageable area for the LW+ is 819 pixels and
for the NT it is 832 pixels. This makes 13 pixels difference, Not enough
for the one disappearing line. So I suspect the clipping area to be an
additional problem. Does anybody know how to force the LW+ to behave as the
NT?
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (06/08/90)

Worse still, the imageable area determined by the electronics
controlling the laser is likely to be different from the area
withint which PostScript is prepared to put the dots. Try the
following bit of code to see if this is true for your printer:

        clippath
        gsave
           0.75 setgray fill
        grestore
        14 setlinewidth 0 setgray stroke
        showpage

This should fill the page in grey and print a 0.2 inch wide
block border centred on the current PostScript clipping path.
Since you do this when the clipping path is the boundary of the
page and hence defines the imageable area, the outer 0.1 inches
of the line will be clipped off by the PostScript interpreter.
The inner 0.1 inch will remain.

Do this on the LaserWriter plus and I expect that you will find
that the black line is thinner than it should be along one or
more edges. If anyone out there can tell me how to adjust the
electronics to fix this please let me know: I have been asking
this question for nearly 4 years without any sensible answers.
It must be possible - try putting sticky tape over the notches
in the side of your paper tray and watch the machine print
right over the edge...

Added confusion: in early versions of the PostScript
interpreter, the setmargins operator actually changed the
meaning of (0,0) in the default coordinate system, so you could
use setmargins to move the imageable area into the part of the
page where the LaserWriter plus would agree to make black marks
on the paper. However, in the last version of the interpreter
included in the LaserWriter+ before the NT range took over,
this had been changed so that (0,0) stayed as the bottom
lefthand corner of the paper.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/10/90)

In article <3399@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:

> Apart from the positioning (which may have to do with the transport
> mechanism, the height of the imageable area for the LW+ is 819 pixels and
> for the NT it is 832 pixels. This makes 13 pixels difference, Not enough
> for the one disappearing line. So I suspect the clipping area to be an
> additional problem. Does anybody know how to force the LW+ to behave as the
> NT?

Some time back, Amanda Walker posted a nifty little gem that should allow you
to do this.  It is buried deep within one of my archieve files, and probably
would take several hours to find.  Perhaps she would be willing to post it.
It used the framedevice operator.  Ring...Ring...Hello Amanda...??

Cheers
Woody

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woodrow Baker) (06/10/90)

In article <2350@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
> that the black line is thinner than it should be along one or
> more edges. If anyone out there can tell me how to adjust the
> electronics to fix this please let me know: I have been asking
> this question for nearly 4 years without any sensible answers.
> It must be possible - try putting sticky tape over the notches
> in the side of your paper tray and watch the machine print
> right over the edge...

It is a hardware asjustment down in the printer body.  The setmargins
operator at least on versions 47.0a and below, shifts the image
electronicly such that it can be moved over into the imageable area.
The PS-Executive software from QMS in Mobile Alabama does it.  The
basic approach is to print out an set of crossed lines exactly 1 inch
from the bottom and left edges.  Then measure the diffrence and use
setmargins to adjust the image.  The command is there in order to
compensate for mechanical tolerance error in the construction of the
machine.